The City Clerk's Department was established August 20, 1912 by Bylaw 425, which stated in part that the City Clerk was responsible for performing all duties required in regard to municipal and school elections and the voting of the burgesses upon referred bylaws. In 1964 the City Clerk ceased to be responsible for municipal elections and censuses. A position of Returning Officer was created within the City Clerk's Department, which took on the responsibility for elections.
This series includes 14 scrapbooks divided into different themes.
Scrapbook 1: Voting on School Money Bylaws, 1922-1938
Scrapbook 2: Plebiscite Ballots, 1922-1963
Scrapbook 3: Notices of Polling Places, 1919-1962
Scrapbook 4: Ballots for Mayoral Elections, 1922-1963
Scrapbook 5: Ballots for Public School Trustees, 1918-1963
Scrapbook 6: Ballots for Separate School Trustees, 1918-1963
Scrapbook 7: Instructions to Deputy Returning Officers and Assistant Deputy Returning Officers, 1919-[ca.1955]
Scrapbook 8: Poll Clerks and Constables, [ca.1938-1945]
Scrapbook 9: Voters' List Certificates, 1938-1952
Scrapbook 10: Ballots for Aldermanic Elections, 1923-1955
Scrapbook 11: Ballots for Aldermanic Elections, 1956-1963
Scrapbook 12: Instructions for Election Campaign Meetings, 1953-1956
Scrapbook 13: Notices of Public Meetings for Elections, [ca.1928]-1956
Scrapbook 14: Instructions for Election Campaign Meetings, 1928-1952