Title and statement of responsibility area
Hudson's Bay Company collection
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material - photograph
- Architectural drawing
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of collection.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1879-1884, 1970 (Creation)
- Hudson's Bay Company
Physical description area
6 cm of textual records. - 12 photographs. - 3 architectural drawings
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Hudson’s Bay Company (HBC) has operated in the Edmonton area since it constructed Edmonton House in 1795. It was located at various points along the North Saskatchewan River until it built its final post on the present grounds of the Legislature Building in 1830. Apart from fur trading activities at the fort, Fort Edmonton became a headquarters for trading operations in a large territory surrounding and north of the post.
By the 1890s, Fort Edmonton was in disrepair and soon after, the HBC transitioned into retail stores. Fort Edmonton was dismantled in 1915. In the mid-1960s a reconstruction of Fort Edmonton was built at Fort Edmonton Park and is one of the main attractions at the park.
To celebrate the 300th anniversary of the Hudson's Bay Company and the 175th anniversary of Fort Edmonton, the Edmonton Bay sponsored a model building contest of Fort Edmonton, in 1970. The winner was Donald J. Barron.
Items have been received from various sources, some with little provenance. Item 2 was recovered from a building under demolition, possibly one of the Fort Edmonton structures, by (?) Purin, later of Kelowna BC. His daughter, Mrs. Oscar Purin, transferred the volume to Ella May Walker in 1950. Her son, Wilfrid Walker, donated it to the Archives in 1960. There is no provenance relating to items 1 or 3.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of accounting records from Fort Edmonton (1879-1884) and a daily journal from Fort Victoria, now Pakan (1890-1893). There are also records relating to a model-building contest of Fort Edmonton and copies of plans for Fort Edmonton (1970).
Photographs include the official opening of Fort Edmonton Park (1967), the winning Fort Edmonton model and builder (1970), York boats and Red River carts.
Immediate source of acquisition
This collection was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by Bill Cardy in 1958, Wilfrid Walker in 1960 and J. Cunningham, Operations Manager, Hudson’s Bay Co., Edmonton in 1970.
The material was arranged in chronological order.
The photographs were assigned item numbers with the prefix EA-112.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply
File list available online.
Photographs have been described at the item level and are available in the City of Edmonton Archives Reference Room and online database.
- Hudson’s Bay Company Archives at the Archives of Manitoba.
No further accruals are expected.
Accession numbers: A58-?, B60-79, A70-58, A72-68
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms