Hook Signs Ltd

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Hook Signs Ltd

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1912-1998

History

Beginning by painting dairy ads on milk wagons, Clyde A. Hook expanded his business into outdoor advertising creating Hook Signs Limited in 1912 in Edmonton. The business did billboards as well as painting advertisements on the sides of buildings. Hook Signs soon spread throughout the city.
In the 1930s the company expanded into Calgary by purchasing Ernest Willis Ltd., and created Hook Signs (Calgary) Limited. The following decade Hook Signs purchased City Sign Works and Lethbridge Posting Company, creating Hook Signs (Lethbridge) Limited. Also in the 1940s Hook expanded into neon signs, supervised by William Muir. The various Hook Signs companies were amalgamated in 1979 forming Hook Outdoor Advertising.
In 1981, the family sold the business to Jim Pattison and Hook Signs became part of the Jim Pattison Group, an advertising company based in Vancouver. The business retained the name Hook Signs until 1998 when the name was changed to Pattison.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

AR-MS-687

Institution identifier

City of Edmonton Archives

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places