Fonds MS-786 - Harry Maxted fonds

Reconstructed Fort Walsh Fort Walsh - N.W.M.P. - 1878

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Harry Maxted fonds

General material designation

  • Graphic material - photograph
  • Cartographic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA EDM MS-786

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1905, 1968 (Creation)
    Creator
    Maxted, Harry

Physical description area

Physical description

2 photographs. - 1 map

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1911-1996)

Biographical history

Harry Amos Maxted was born 18 May 1911 to Catherine Maher and Henry Thomas Maxted in Toronto, Ontario.
In the late 1950s Superintendent Harry A. Maxted was the Commanding Officer of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) Training Centre in Regina, Saskatchewan. He researched and wrote the manuscript 'Royal Canadian Mounted Police – Manual of Horsemanship'. At the time of donation, Harry Maxted was the Assistant Commissioner of the R.C.M.P. in Edmonton.
Harry Maxted died in 1996.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of two photographs of Fort Walsh, a former fort of the North West Mounted Police (N.W.M.P.) located in Saskatchewan near the Canada/U.S. border.
The first photograph is of the original fort in 1878. The second photograph is approximately the same view in the 1940s showing the reconstructed fort, with horses roaming in front.
The fonds also includes a 1905 Driscoll’s Map of Edmonton, 2nd Edition (EAM-48).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

This fonds was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by Harry Maxted in 1968.

Arrangement

The photographs were assigned item numbers with the prefix EA-46.
The map was assigned item number EAM-48.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.

Finding aids

See Scope and content above.
Photographs have been described at the item level; some are available on the online database, with the remainder available in the Reference Room.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

General note

Accession numbers: A68-115

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

City of Edmonton Archives

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Physical storage

  • Box: Library
  • Map cabinet: West B