Title and statement of responsibility area
HMCS Nonsuch fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
CA EDM MS-8
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1956 - 1962 (Creation)
- HMCS Nonsuch
Physical description area
50 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
HMCS Nonsuch began as a half company naval reserve unit in 1923 under the guidance of Lt. Commander A.B. McLeod. They were housed in two rooms in the Prince of Wales Armouries. In 1939 the company acquired a permanent barracks at 102 Street and 97 Avenue, formerly the Hudson's Bay Company Stables. During the Second World War the unit went on active service and several thousand naval volunteers passed through basic training. In 1948 it was decommissioned as an active establishment. After the war a full time staff of permanent Royal Canadian Navy reserve officers was established and the base was re-equipped. The unit was decommissioned in 1964 due to federal government cutbacks, but was reopened in 1974 and restaffed by Lt. Commander H.F. Wallace in 1975 to hold an eight week summer training camp for new recruits. Their new base of operations was in the Kingsway Armed Forces Recreation Centre. By the late 1980s and 1990s the unit was winning top honors among Canadian naval reserves.
Rev. J. E. McGrane was the Chaplain to the HMCS Nonsuch and Commander S. Cameron was commander of the HMCS Nonsuch from 1955 to 1958.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of three scrapbooks relating to HMCS Nonsuch activities from 1956 to 1962. Additional materials include 2 copies of a brief history of the unit written by the Rev. J.E. McGrane (Chaplain) in 1962 and the programme from the commissioning of the HMCS Nonsuch in September 1975.
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by Rev. J.E. McGrane in 1962 and Commander S. Cameron in 1966.
The material was arranged according to the filing system of the creator.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.
In this repository, see also: masterplans in City of Edmonton. Planning Department fonds, Planchecker's Files series (RG-17.0: MP-1956-4232; MP-1957-7310; MP-1957-7476; MP-1958-1932).
Further accruals are expected.
Accession numbers: A64-184, A66-318
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
City of Edmonton Archives
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description
Script of description
Digital object metadata