Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of sub-series.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1952 - 1981 (Creation)
Physical description area
13 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Scope and content
The Edmonton Golf Club opened in 1907 with five holes. The City purchased the land (then known as the Golf Links) in 1912 from the Hudson's Bay Company, and began operating the course as a municipal enterprise - the first municipal golf course in Canada. The Golf Links was renamed Victoria Park and dedicated to public use in 1914. The course expanded in the 1920s from 9 holes to 18, and by 1951 the course offered 27 holes, though by 1954 it had reverted to 18 holes when the City needed some of the land for the Groat Bridge. In 1957 the name was officially changed to the Victoria Golf Course. The Victoria Driving Range opened in 1961.
In 1949 work began on a new municipal golf course. Riverside Golf Course opened in 1951 on the south bank of the North Saskatchewan River just north of the Dawson Bridge. Rundle Park Golf Course became the City’s third course when it opened in 1976.
The subseries consists of correspondence and financial records relating to golf courses operated by the City of Edmonton. The subseries contains the following files:
- File 1: Golf Courses - Correspondence (February - December 1962)
- File 2: Golf: Master Plan - Correspondence (June 1968 - January 1969)
- File 3: Victoria Golf Course Statistical Revenue Ledger (1952-1967)
- File 4: Victoria Golf Course Statistical Revenue Ledger (1968-1978)
- File 5: Victoria Driving Range Cash Book (1961-1970)
- File 6: Victoria Driving Range Cash Book (1970-1972)
- File 7: Riverside Golf Course Statistical Revenue Ledger (1980-1981)
- GP-1748-1981-jul: Master plan review: Mill Woods golf course (1981)
Immediate source of acquisition
This material was transferred to the City of Edmonton Archives in 1973 and 1993 by the Parks and Recreation Department.
The material was arranged by the archivist by type of record.
Some material was given item numbers with the prefix GP.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.
See Scope and content above.
Generated finding aid
Further accruals are expected.
Accession numbers: A73-12, A93-40
In 2016 files 1 and 2 were renumbered. File 1 was formerly known as Class 2.1 File 10. File 2 was formerly known as Class 2.1 File 11.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms