Title and statement of responsibility area
Girl Guides of Canada - Alberta Council collection
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of collection.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1981 - 1982 (Creation)
Physical description area
1 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Girl Guides of Canada – Alberta Council was formed in 1929, although there were guiding units in Edmonton and Calgary as early as 1913. The Alberta Council is a provincial council within the national organization of Girl Guides of Canada. The area covered includes Alberta, Yukon and the Northwest Territories. The office of the Girl Guides of Canada – Alberta Council is located in Edmonton at 11055-107 Street.
Betty McFall was a volunteer with the Girl Guides of Canada – Alberta Council at the time of donation.
Scope and content
The collection consists of pamphlets and booklets relating to the formation of Scouts and Guides in Canada, with emphasis on Lord and Lady Baden-Powell, including:
- graphic novel booklet: B.P's Life in Pictures - The Story of Baden-Powell;
- pamphlet: The Life of Lord Baden Powell - A brief story of the Founder of the Boy Scout and Girl Guide Movements;
- newspaper: Le Franco, with a special feature on Guides and Scouts in Alberta (sur le scoutisme et guidisme en Alberta), November 1982, vol. 17, no. 38 (2 copies);
- pamphlet: Memorial Service - Olave, Lady Baden-Powell, 1889-1977
- photocopy page of 2 images - Funeral service for Lord Baden-Powell in Kenya, 1941; memorial service held at grave of Lord Baden-Powell in Kenya, 1957;
- booklet - Olave, Lady Baden-Powell, World Chief Guide, 1889-1977.
The collection also includes a book ‘I Promise … A History of the Girl Guides in Alberta’ (369.463 GIR).
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives on behalf of the Girl Guides of Canada, Alberta Council, by Betty McFall, in 1983 and 1985.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.
See ‘Scope and Content’ above
Canadian Girl Guides Association, Alberta Council fonds (PR0223) at the Provincial Archives of Alberta.
No further accruals are expected.
Accession numbers: A83-60, A85-42
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms