Title and statement of responsibility area
George Stout fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material - photograph
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
CA EDM MS-15
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1901-[ca. 1920], 1970, 1987 (Creation)
- Stout, George
Physical description area
1 cm of textual records. - 10 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
George H. Stout was born on 22 Sep 1915, son of early Strathcona pioneers Clarence and Jesie Stout. George attended school in Edmonton at Allendale and Queen Alexandra School before his parents moved to Calgary. George attended school in Calgary and worked at both the Calgary Herald and Calgary Albertan newspapers before returning to Edmonton in 1940 for a position at the Edmonton Journal. George enlisted in the Royal Canadian Navy in 1942 and served until 1945.
Following the Second World War, George returned to the Edmonton Journal where he worked as Night Editor, City Editor and News Editor. In 1947, he married Grace Moore Piper of Fort William, Ontario. Grace, who had earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Toronto and a Master's degree from Columbia University School of Journalism in New York, began working at the Edmonton Journal as society editor. The couple had three children together: Corey, Janet, and Cynthia. In 1963, the Stouts left Edmonton and moved to Tweed, Ontario where Georgia and Grace owned and managed a local paper, The Tweed News. Grace fell ill and the Stout family returned to Edmonton in the summer of 1964. Grace passed away in October of that year.
George worked with the Provincial Government from 1964 to 1967. In 1968 he became the Communications and Publications Officer with the Edmonton Public School Board. He worked with the Edmonton Public School Board until his retirement in 1980. George eventually remarried to Isobel ?.
George was an active community volunteer. In 1968, he joined the Rotary Club of South Edmonton (later the Rotary of Edmonton South) and from 1974 to 1998, he assisted the Club in its staging of Harvest Fair at Fort Edmonton Park. He became a charter member of the Fort Edmonton Historical Foundation in 1971 and served as its director from 1972 to 1986 and then again in 1990. For twenty-five years, from 1981 to 2006, George spent his summers as an interpreter at Fort Edmonton Park in the Bulletin Building portraying Frank Oliver, Publisher. He was Honorary Chief Factor of Fort Edmonton from 1987 to 1988 and for several years during the 1980s, he was on the Board of Directors of the Old Strathcona Foundation.
George Stout died 18 Jul 2013 in Edmonton.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of programmes for the school openings of L.Y. Cairns Vocation School and M.E. LaZerte Composite High School, and miscellaneous receipts in the name of Euclid N. Paradis, L’Amoureux, AB and Joseph Paradis, of St. Boniface, MB, and of Edmonton, AB.
The photographs include the ceremony for the Honourary Chief Factors of Fort Edmonton Park, 1974, honoring Christina McKnight, Richard Y. Secord and Merrill Wolf. There are also images of George as a young child to an adult and as Honorary Chief Factor at Fort Edmonton Park, hosting the Duke and Duchess of York.
File 1: Receipts for Euclid N. Paradis, L’Amoureux, AB and Joseph Paradis, St. Boniface MB and Edmonton, AB, including receipts for: Edmonton Bulletin (1901), Bank of Montreal (1903), Daly’s Tea Co. (1907), Department of Interior – Dominion Lands (1908), unknown for twine (1908), City of Edmonton Taxes (1913) and General Hospital – Edmonton (1924).
File 2: Programme for Official Opening of L.Y. Cairns Vocational School, March 20, 1970. (2 copies).
File 3: Programme for Official Opening of M.E. LaZerte Composite High School, November 27, 1970
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by George Stout in four donations between 1920 and 2000.
The material was arranged by the archivist by subject.
The photographs were assigned item numbers with the prefix EA-357.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.
Finding aid available online.
Photographs have been described at the item level and are available in the Reference Room.
No further accruals are expected.
Accession numbers: A70-12, A70-55, A78-111, A2000-94
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
City of Edmonton Archives
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms