Collection MS-355 - George Lewis Davies collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

George Lewis Davies collection

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on name of collector.

Level of description

Collection

Reference code

CA EDM MS-355

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1955-1983 (Creation)
    Creator
    Davies, George Lewis

Physical description area

Physical description

30 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1900 - n.d.)

Biographical history

George Davies was a native Edmontonian, born in Strathcona in 1900, the son of Arthur Davies, one time mayor of that city. Mr. Davies began a teaching career at the age of 16 at Bragg Creek, near Calgary. He joined the staff of the Edmonton School Board in 1927 and taught at the old Jasper Place School and the Syndicate Avenue School. He was appointed principal in 1929 at Allendale, and later served in that capacity at Riverdale, Highlands and McKernan (1952) schools. He served with the Edmonton Fusiliers and Pacific Command Education Branch in World War II. He retired from McKernan in 1964 after 37 years with the Edmonton Public School Board. George Davies was honored as a "living heritage treasure" in 1993 by the Alberta Museums' Association.

Custodial history

Scope and content

  • The collection consists of newspaper clippings, mostly relating to politics, immigration, bilingualism, education, sports and Klondike Days between 1970 and 1983, historical booklets, souvenir issues of newspapers and magazines (i.e. Royal Wedding 1982), 2 copies of 1974 editions of the St. Johns Edmonton Report and a 1955 Alberta Jubilee Calendar;
  • Oil paintings: Rabbit Hill Coal Mine when it was deserted and in ruins (at Ellerslie west of Highway 2, Whitemud Valley); Windermere N.W.M.P. barracks on the Columbia River.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

This fonds was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by Mr. George L. Davies in 1983.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright may apply.

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Accession number: A83-82

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

City of Edmonton Archives

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres