Title and statement of responsibility area
Scrapbook 1 - volume 1
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material - photograph
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of file.
Level of description
CA EDM MS-515-1
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[ca. 1970] (Creation)
Physical description area
3 cm textual records. - 56 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The scrapbook-cum-manuscript 'The First Fifty Years' was originally compiled by Mary Wankel Dornan and Mae Bedard Green, likely in the 1970's. An epilogue was added in 1983.
During the conservation rehousing of the two binders of the manuscript, it was noticed that many scrapbook pages were numbered, however the pages were not in numerical order within the scrapbook.
It is likely that, at the time the epilogue was added, Mary re-arranged the order of the pages in the manuscript as well as added more material. The manuscript likely started as one binder, and at this time grew into two.
The pages in the manuscript were left in the order in which it was found, and maintained as two volumes.
Scope and content
The file consists of volume 1 of the scrapbook 'The First Fifty Years: A Pictorial Review of the origin of the Parish of St. Anthony of Padua and the contributions made by the pioneers, both for the Church and in the Community'.
The scrapbook was compiled by Mary Wankel Dornan and Mae Bedard Green, and includes reminiscences on early Edmonton as well as family and community histories covering predominantly 1890-1955.
The scrapbook includes photographs EB-40-1 to EB-40-56.
The writings in this volume cover the following subjects or topics:
- Fort Edmonton
- John Walter and his ferry
- Laurent Garneau and his family
- Convent of the Sisters Faithful Companion of Jesus, Edmonton, NWT
- Strathcona 1891-1910 (hand drawn map with named streets)
- St. Anthony of Padua Church and School
- The Archdiocese of Edmonton 1902-1938
- Archbishop McGuigan, Bishop Grandin, Father Albert Lacombe, Archbishop Emile Legal, and Archbishop Henry J. O'Leary
- St. Anthony School
- Games We Played In 1910
- Students at St. Anthony's School: Annie Allen, Grace Bard, Harry Bard, Mabel Bard, Velma Bartley, Mae Bedard, Wallace Bijou, Mike Blischok, Cath. Carrigan, Dan Carrigan, Gene Carrigan, Harry Dechene, Zoe Defond, Alice Duggan, Bill Fraser, Norman Fraser, Theresa Fraser, Lester Ferring, Aime Goyer, Albert Goyer, Aileen Hobson, Marjorie Husband, Margaret Joyce, Anne Keizer, Marie Keizer, Annie Kulak, Aime Labonte, Edward LaFleche, Joe LaFleche, Louis LaFleche, Algena Lamy, Helen Loughlin, Joseph Malone, Margaret Malone, Della McDonough, James McDonough, Helen McGuiness, Marjorie McKeena, Alice McLean, Alf McLean, Frank McLean, Alice McManus, Clifford McManus,Ellen McManus, Patrick Meehan, Nick Metzger, Kathleen Moher, Bill Monaghan, Alpha Morency, Katie Nearny, John Norrington, Irene Piche, Catherine Pollard, Harold Pollard, Rosie Pollard, Agnes Rafferty, James Rafferty, Arthur Ring, Dimple Ring, Irene Roth, Katie Schariski, Mike Schariski, Annie Schmidt, Arthur Seward, Lawrence Sullivan, Thomas Sullivan, James Tierny, Tommy Walsh, Charlie Wankel, Mamie Wankel
- Teachers at St. Anthony's School: Miss Bedard, Miss Helen Marquis, Miss Shannon, Mill Tellier, Sister Patrick
- The John Berchman's Society (altar boys): Dan Carrigan, Tom Carrigan, Willie Fraser, Aime Goyer, Albert Goyer, Aime Labonte, Joe Malone, Alf McLean, John McLean, James TiernyTommy Walsh, Charlie Wankel
- City of Edmonton Stern Wheeler
- The Strathcona Tannery and the Bedard Family (Fermin Bedard, William H. Bedard, Sam Bedard, Augusta Bedard, Edna Bedard, Elva Bedard, Florence Bedard, Frances Bedard, Mae Bedard, Harry Bedard, Lou Peverell, Mabel Shannon, Lizzie Swaboda)
- Henry Collins (Muchias)
- The Mayall family (Mr. Mayall, Cecilia Robson Mayall, Dolly Mayall, Eva Mayall, Robert Mayall)
- The Pollard Brothers (includes the Pollard Brickyard)
- The John A. Pollard Family
- John (Red) Pollard
- Williams (Mr & Mrs Henry Williams, Charles Williams)
- Flood of the North Saskatchewan River - June 27, 1915
- Spare the Rod 1900-1910 (Mother Bernadette, Miss Crough)
- Keeping Diaries (John Fraser, Fermin Bedard)
- Connelly Family (Jack Connelly, Father Paul Connelly, Mrs. Tom McLean, Mrs. D. McCarthy)
- Here and There (FCJ Sisters, Dan Connelly, John Pollard, Pat McManus, prices in 1890, pennies, Mr. Duggan, Mr. McManus, Ross' Hardware, Wankel and Barr Hardware, Afternoon Tea and Calling Cards)
- John Joseph Duggan, Margaret McDonald Duggan
- Third Street Separate High School (Principal Mother Margaret Mary, Miss Laura Moret, Elva Bedard, Bernard McEleney)
- First Street Cars on Whyte Avenue
- McIntyre Memorial Fountain (drinking fountain at 83 Avenue and Main Street)
- Nancy O'Brien, Madam Fontaine
- St. Rene's Church
- Lemarchand Mansion
- Two-Room School in Gallagher Flats 1913
- The Bard Family and House (Delmar Bard, Mary O'Keefe Bard, Harry Bard, Grace Bard, Bard Lake, Ella Kearny Bard, Harry Bard, Tommy Walsk, Charlie Wankel, Peg Carrigan, Jo Carrigan, Mable Bard, Bert Bard, Cath. Carrigan)
- The Carrigan Family and House (Ed Carrigan, Kate Carrigan, Gunnar Hoyem, Gudrun Hoyem. Laurette Carrigan, Tom Carrigan)
- Bill Price Receives Gene Carrigan Trophy
- The T.P. Malone Family (Thomas Peter Malone, Sara McMillan Malone, John Malone, Charles Fisher, Pat Burns, Margaret Mary Malone, Joseph Malone, Anna Malone, Paul Malone, Malone Store, Malone Block, Right Reverend Joseph McMillan Malone, Dr. Ross Vant, Auguste Maure)
Immediate source of acquisition
This file was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by Dennis Dornan in 1999.
The material was arranged according to the filing system of the creator.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
This scrapbook - volume 1 was originally on magnetic pages in a deteriorating binder (binder 1 of 2). To preserve the material but replicate the scrapbook, the material was rehoused in mylar sleeves with white archival paper interleaved in each sleeve, with Chicago posts binding, coroplast backing, and folderstock front cover. The identical placement of the material and order in which it was found was maintained.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
City of Edmonton Archives
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description
Script of description
Digital object metadata