Fonds MS-155 - Edward Bell fonds

Bennett School - Temporary Classroom

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Edward Bell fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material - photograph

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA EDM MS-155

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1912, 1963 (Creation)
    Creator
    Bell, Edward

Physical description area

Physical description

0.5 cm of textual records. – 1 photograph

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

([ca. 1892]-[before 1992])

Biographical history

Edward Bell arrived in Edmonton from Ontario in September 1912. He began work as a teacher in Strathcona at the Bennett School and by the spring of 1913, Ed Bell was the principal of the school. Mr. Bell resigned in February 1914 and moved to the Griffin Creek District, north of Peace River. By 1963, Edward Bell was in Victoria, B.C. It is not known what happened to Edward Bell after moving to Victoria.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of Edward Bell’s account of becoming a teacher and then principal of Bennett School, including teaching in the school’s temporary accommodations on the second floor of a house in 1912 while awaiting construction of the school building. The Bennett School moved into their new building on Gallagher flats in the spring of 1913.
The photograph is of the temporary classroom that was used before the Bennett School building was opened.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

This fonds was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by Edward Bell in 1963.

Arrangement

The photograph was assigned the prefix EA-281.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.

Finding aids

See Scope and content above.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

General note

Accession numbers: A63-92

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

City of Edmonton Archives

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Physical storage

  • Box: MS Room
  • Box: Library