The Edmonton Zoological Society was first proposed in 1926 in association with the Borden Park Zoo, which operated in the city until 1941. In 1953 a committee was formed to re-establish the society and noted Edmonton naturalist, Al Oeming, was elected President. The society worked in conjunction with City Council and the Parks Department in the development of the Laurier Park Children's Zoo, which opened in 1959. The Society also appointed members to the Edmonton Zoo Advisory Board, as well as conducting lectures and lobbying on various wildlife issues. The Society was disbanded in 1970.