Title and statement of responsibility area
Edmonton Zoological Society fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1961 - 1973 (Creation)
- Edmonton Zoological Society
Physical description area
6 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Edmonton Zoological Society was first proposed in 1926 in association with the Borden Park Zoo, which operated in the city until 1941. In 1953 a committee was formed to re-establish the society and noted Edmonton naturalist, Al Oeming, was elected President. The society worked in conjunction with City Council and the Parks Department in the development of the Laurier Park Children's Zoo, which opened in 1959. The Society also appointed members to the Edmonton Zoo Advisory Board, as well as conducting lectures and lobbying on various wildlife issues. The Society was disbanded in 1970.
Hugh Albert Haggarty was a Director and Treasurer of the Society at the time of its disbandment.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of records of the Edmonton Zoological Society including correspondence, financial statements, and minutes of meetings.
File 1. Correspondence – general. Includes list of officers and directors. 1960-1973
File 2. Correspondence – Edmonton Zoo Advisory Board. Includes news clippings. 1966-1969
File 3. Financial statements. 1961-1967
File 4. Financial records. 1962-1970
File 5. Cheque stubs, deposit slips. 1961-1966
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by Hugh Albert Haggarty in 1976.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.
See Scope and content above.
No further accruals are expected.
Accession numbers: A76-153
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms