Edmonton Zoological Society

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Edmonton Zoological Society

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1953-1970

History

The Edmonton Zoological Society was first proposed in 1926 in association with the Borden Park Zoo, which operated in the city until 1941. In 1953 a committee was formed to re-establish the society and noted Edmonton naturalist, Al Oeming, was elected President. The society worked in conjunction with City Council and the Parks Department in the development of the Laurier Park Children's Zoo, which opened in 1959. The Society also appointed members to the Edmonton Zoo Advisory Board, as well as conducting lectures and lobbying on various wildlife issues. The Society was disbanded in 1970.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

AR-MS-104

Institution identifier

City of Edmonton Archives

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places