Title and statement of responsibility area
Edmonton Kennel Club fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material - photograph
- Moving images
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on name of creator.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1926 - 2006 (Creation)
- Edmonton Kennel Club
Physical description area
2.25 m of textual records and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Edmonton Kennel Club was first organized in 1910 by a group of local dog fanciers in the home of Mr. W.S. Candy. The Mayor of Edmonton at the time, Charles May, was elected the first President of the Club. After the inaugural meeting, subsequent meetings of the Club were held in the Edmonton Civic Building Council Chambers.
The Club’s main objective throughout its history has been to promote purebred dogs and responsible dog ownership. To accomplish these objectives, the Club holds community meetings with educational sessions directed to adults and children, through outreach activities such as lectures and coloring books, respectively. Each year, the Club also holds a dog show/obedience trial over the course of a weekend that is open to the public. The event is entirely run by club volunteers, who also enter their own dogs into the trials.
Both Barbara J. Gittens and Mrs. M. Jacobs were active members of the Edmonton Kennel Club when they donated the records to the City of Edmonton Archives.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of minutes, financial statements, newsletters, photographs, objects, moving images, and catalogues of events and dog shows the Edmonton Kennel Club held, and helped organize, throughout the twentieth century. The fonds also consists of commemorative material created to celebrate achievements of the Club’s members, such as for birthdays or anniversaries, in the form of scrapbooks and certificates. Also included are objects gathered by Edmonton Kennel Club members who performed judicial duties for dog shows hosted by the Edmonton Kennel Club, as well as for other organizations across the world.
The photographs of the fonds are images primarily taken of the Club’s dog shows with a smaller number of images drawn from the Club’s various social activities.
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by Barbara J. Gittens in 4 donations made between 1994 and 2002, and by Mrs. M. Jacobs in 2007.
The material was arranged by the archivist by type of records, and then in chronological order.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
Further accruals are expected.
Accession numbers: A94-134, A96-71, A98-83, A2002-76, A2007-7
Includes 1391 photographs, 1 optical disc, 13 objects, and 2 film reels.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms
Level of detail