Fonds MS-232 - Edmonton Electric Light & Power Company fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Edmonton Electric Light & Power Company fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA EDM MS-232

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1891 - 1902 (Creation)
    Creator
    Edmonton Electric Light & Power Company

Physical description area

Physical description

6 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1891-1902)

Administrative history

The Edmonton Electric Light & Power Company Limited was organized on 23 Sep 1891 to generate and distribute electrical power in Edmonton. It operated until 8 May 1902, after which it was wound up when all operations and equipment were acquired by the Town of Edmonton.
The President throughout was John Alexander McDougall; the Secretary-Treasurers were P.L. Macnamara (provisional, 1891), Campbell Young (1891-1892) and St. George Jellett (1892-1902).

Custodial history

John C. McDougall was the son of John A. McDougall, President of the company.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of the minute books of the Edmonton Electric Light & Power Company Limited, 1891-1902 and other papers relating to the operation of the company.
File List:
File 1: Minute book, September 23, 1891 – December 12, 1899. Includes minutes of organizational meeting (pp 1-2) and by-laws (pp. 16-28).
File 2: Documents extracted from Minute Book (file 1), includes list of shareholders (inside front cover) and By-law – re: borrowing, January 30, 1894 (pp. 79-80).
File 3: Minute book, January 2, 1900 – May 8 1902. Includes list of shareholders 1902 (inside back cover).
File 4: Letters and notes 1900-1902, includes: Jackson& Grierson, proprietors Alberta Hotel to Manager, Electric Light Co., May 5, 1900; and notes, re: share values, 1902 (on note pad of St. George Jellett, Secretary-Treasurer).
File 5: Letters of Patent for Edmonton Electric Light & Power, Northwest Territories, granted by His Honour Joseph Royal for Queen Victoria, 23 October 1891; granting one thousand shares of ten dollars each ($10,000.00).
Includes names of shareholders: Arsemous Delton Osborne (Postmaster), Richard Secord (Merchants Clerk), Donald Ross (Hotel Keeper), Alexander Taylor (Government Telegraph Operator), John Alexander McDougall (Merchant), William Johnston Walker (Merchant), Stanislas Larve (Merchant), Joseph Henri Picard (Merchant), Alexis Francois Degagne (Carpenter), Herbert Charles Wilson (Physician), Frederick Ross (Merchant), Luke Kelly (Hotel Keeper), Alfred Everard Johnston (Forest Ranger), Daniel Robert Fraser (Lumber Merchant), Sydney Stockton Taylor (Advocate), Xavier St. Jean (Hotel Keeper), Luke Arthur (Carpenter), John Walters (Ferryman), Kenneth Archibald McLeod (Carpenter), Colin Ferrie Strang (Financial Agent), James Ross (Merchant), George Robert Foster Kirkpatrick (Bank Manager), George Thompson (Druggist), Emmanuel Raymer (Jeweler), William Fielders (Implement Agent), Campbell Young (Insurance Agent), Frederick Sache (Merchants Clerk), Nicholas Dominic Beck (Adovcate) and Patrick McNamara (Adovcate), all of Edmonton in the District of Alberta; Henry Goodbridge, of Miners Flats near Edmonton aforesaid; Charles Bremner of Clover Bar near Edmonton aforesaid, and Richard George Hardisty of Sturgeon River near Edmonton aforesaid.
(o/s folder in map cabinet)

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

This fonds was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by John C. McDougall in 1942.

Arrangement

The material was arranged by the archivist in chronological order.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.

Finding aids

See Scope and content above.

Associated materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

General note

Accession numbers: A42-1

General note

This MS was formerly the Canadian Corps Association - these records were deaccessioned.
This MS was formerly City '78 Committee fonds - these records have been repatriated to RG-78 Commonwealth Games collection.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

City of Edmonton Archives

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Physical storage

  • Box: MS Room
  • Map cabinet: MS Room