Title and statement of responsibility area
Edmonton Cemetery Company fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1886 - 1966 (Creation)
- Edmonton Cemetery Company
Physical description area
1 m of textual record. - 4 objects
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Edmonton Cemetery Company was formed in 1886 and received a charter in the same year. It was a limited stock company with no dividends issued to stockholders. The Board of Directors consisted of many of the city's prominent men including Matt McCauley, Alex Taylor and George D. K. Kinnaird. The company acquired land from the Hudson's Bay reserve and established the grave yard south of 107th Avenue between 117th and 119th Streets. Later acquisitions expanded the grounds west and northward. In 1922 a large expansion to the west included a large reserve for a military field of honor around a Cross of Sacrifice, similar to those found in Europe, erected by the Veterans War Graves Commission. In 1932 a neo-classical Mausoleum was built on the north side of 107th Avenue. By the 1960s issues of financial viability and the need for perpetual care prompted the company to initiate negotiations to surrender their charter to the City of Edmonton. The transfer occurred in 1965. Due to a fire in the building the Company's records were stored in, records before 1915 are in fewer number than after.
George D. K. Kinnaird served on the board of directors of the Edmonton Cemetery Company at the time of its transfer to the city.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of minutes, ledgers and financial records, shareholders' notices and correspondence of the company dating from 1866 to 1965. There are also copies of the company's indenture documents, certificates, and three corporate seals.
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated by the Northern Alberta Pioneers and Old Timers Association via George D. K. Kinnaird in 1965.
The material was arranged according to the filing system of the creator.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.
Finding aid available online.
No further accruals are expected.
Accession numbers: A65-294
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms