Title and statement of responsibility area
Edmonton Burns Club fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
CA EDM MS-761
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1921 - 2016 (Creation)
- Edmonton Burns Club
Physical description area
4.25 m of textual records and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Edmonton Burns Club (EBC) was established in 1919 in Edmonton as a branch of the Burns Clubs of North America to celebrate the Scottish poet and bard, Robert Burns (1759-1796). The EBC takes an active role in encouraging awareness of Scottish literature and art through recitations of poems, singing, and historical awareness. The Club meets annually at their Burns Night Banquet to celebrate, recite the works of Robert Burns, and discuss matters for the year past and the year ahead. Although the center of the Club’s activities pertains mostly to its namesake, the EBC works to foster a love of Scottish heritage in general.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of records created and collected by the Edmonton Burns Club for their various events and activities.
The fonds has been arranged into 6 series:
- Series 1 - Membership. This series consists of Edmonton Burns Club membership rosters and lists of Presidents. Also included are the Burns Club constitution as well as obituaries and funeral addresses for members of the Club.
- Series 2 - Administration. This series consists of minutes and financial statements of the Club. The President's’ Books have also been included in the series.
- Series 3 - Correspondence. This series consists of letters written in regards to the Club. The letter recipients have been named unless otherwise noted. Due to the nature of the scholarships awarded by the Burns Club, all material related to awards has been included here as well.
- Series 4 - Events. All major Burns Club events have been listed in chronological order here for ease of access. Events held by other Burns Clubs have also been included.
- Series 5 - Poetry, Music, and Reference Library. This series consists of the works collected and written by members of the Burns Club. The series includes poems, historical accounts, music sheets, articles, and books.
- Series 6 - Media. Series 6 is comprised of scrapbooks, media, audio (reel to reel and cassette recordings), ephemera and photographs related to the Club and various events.
Includes photographs, artwork, published material, reel to reel tapes, cassette tapes, banners, tshirt and a hat,
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by the Edmonton Burns Club in 7 donations between 2010 and 2016.
The material was arranged according to the filing system of the creator, as much as possible.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some files are restricted due to donor agreement.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.
Finding aid available online.
Further accruals are expected.
Accession numbers: A2010-86, A2013-7, A2014-105, A2015-10, A2016-9, A2016-127, A2016-151
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
City of Edmonton Archives
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description
Script of description
Digital object metadata