Canadian Handicraft Guild, Edmonton Branch

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Canadian Handicraft Guild, Edmonton Branch

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1911 - 1966

History

The Edmonton Branch, Canadian Handicraft Guild was originally established in 1911 and operated until about 1922, before disbanding due to lack of support. It was re-established on April 26, 1928, under the guidance of W.A.R Kerr of the University of Alberta, originally as the Alberta Provincial Branch, then as the Edmonton Branch when a provincial umbrella organization was created, ca. 1931. It was the primary organization in the city fostering the craft arts. Classes were organized and exhibitions of work were held. As the provincial government became more involved in the area of cultural affairs during the 1950s and 1960s, the significance of the Edmonton Branch diminished and the organization disbanded in 1966, donating all its remaining funds to support a craft scholarship at Banff School of Fine Arts.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

AR-MS-57

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places