Title and statement of responsibility area
Dr. Terwillegar Residence
General material designation
- Graphic material - photograph
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on content of image.
Level of description
CA EDM RG-21-2-3-EA-792-478
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
1 photograph : tiff
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Scope and content
10727 - 125 Street.
James Carruthers purchased much of Malcolm Groat's homestead in the early 1900s. He subdivided the land, determined that Westmount would be a trimmed down extension of Glenora, the prestigious neighbourhood nearby. The communities attracted businessmen, professionals, and their families in record numbers. Westmount grew to be the greatest concentration of single family dwellings in Edmonton at the time.
Architect John Martland designed this home for Charles W. Coppock in 1912 on one of the first lots to be developed in the new community. The artful simplicity, efficient use of space, extensive use of natural wood, and open eaves exemplify this Craftsman bungalow, although it remains distinct in its inclusion of a hipped rather than gabled roof. Martland later became the city architect, designing the Edmonton Municipal Golf Course, the City Market, and two hangars at the Municipal Airport.
The physician and surgeon, Dr. Norman Terwillegar, his wife Dorothy, and their three children moved to this home in 1920. Terwillegar earned a city-wide reputation for his devotion to his patients at the Royal Alexandra Hospital and in his private practice, based from his home later in his career. In tribute to the good doctor's character and influence in his practice, and during his tenures as president of the Edmonton Academy of Medicine and the Alberta Medical Society, the city named a southwestern community Terwillegar Heights in the 1960s. Dr. Terwillegar died in 1948. This house remained his family's home until 1959.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
- Copyright held by City of Edmonton.
- Reproduction restrictions may apply.
Generated finding aid
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
City of Edmonton Archives
Rules or conventions
- Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
- Thesaurus for Graphic Materials (TGM)
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description
Script of description
Digital object metadata