Item EA-792-115 - Connaught Armoury

Original Digital object not accessible

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Connaught Armoury

General material designation

  • Graphic material - photograph

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on content of image.

Level of description

Item

Reference code

CA EDM RG-21-2-3-EA-792-115

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 2006 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 photograph : tiff

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

10310 - 85 Avenue.
The Connaught Armoury was built in what was then the City of Strathcona in 1911-12. It was named for the Duke of Connaught, a son of Queen Victoria and Canada's Governor-General from 1911 to 1916.
It boasted a large assembly or drill hall on the main floor, along with storerooms for arms, saddles and uniforms. It also incorporated offices and a caretaker's apartment, and in the basement there was a rifle range and bowling alley for recreation.
The armoury quickly emerged as the headquarters for one of Alberta's most famous regiments, the 19th Alberta Dragoons. This cavalry, and later armored, regiment served with distinction at many of the largest First World War battles and in the Second World War. After the Second World War, it became the 19th Alberta Armoured Car Regiment before the regiment was effectively disbanded in 1964.
Shortly thereafter, Connaught Armoury closed. It was threatened with demolition in the early 1970s by a proposed freeway from Calgary Trail to downtown before being sold in 1978 and used for a succession of restaurants and nightclubs.
In addition to its association with the 19th Alberta Dragoons, the armoury is an excellent and early example of this type of military building in Alberta. Smaller than Mewata or Prince of Wales Armouries, it nevertheless presents a formidable, fortress-like appearance with its stylized crenellations on the roof line, heavy brick and masonry walls, and formal entry porch.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

  • Copyright held by City of Edmonton.
  • Reproduction restrictions may apply.

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Photographer: unknown

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

City of Edmonton Archives

Rules or conventions

  • Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
  • Thesaurus for Graphic Materials (TGM)

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres