Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on name of creator.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1907-1962, predominant 1947-1962 (Creation)
- Parks Department
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1911 City parks were operated by Paul A. von Aueberg under the City Engineer. There was a Parks Commission, which likely provided guidance to the development of the parks system, to which City Engineer A.J. Latronell was appointed in 1911. On April 1, 1912 Parks became an independent department, with von Aueberg as superintendent. The early Parks Department was tasked with establishing, maintaining, and improving all parks and parkland in the city.
Due to a financial crisis the Parks Department was closed by order of Council on August 21, 1913 and the parks function reverted to the Engineer's Department. Over the next thirty-four years the Engineer's Department guided the parks system: the parks were maintained and expanded, Borden Park Zoo established, the Municipal Golf Course was created, swimming pools and hockey rinks were built, boulevards constructed, trees planted, and the community leagues movement began.
On January 13, 1947 the Parks Department was resurrected when Council approved the formation of the City Parks Department. The Parks Department had 180 staff, mostly transferred from the Engineer's Department.
A 1952 organizational chart lists the responsibilities of the re-established Parks Department as the maintenance of City parks, boulevards, the football stadium, the zoo, and rinks; the maintenance and operation of cemeteries including issuing permits, collecting fees, and removing snow; the maintenance and operation of golf courses and swimming pools; the operation of concessions in parks, swimming pools and golf courses; and maintaining complete accounting records.
The Zoo Advisory Board was established on 1959 through Bylaw 1967. The Board's function was to provide advice to City Council in connection to projects and policies relating to zoological issues, particularly in respect to the Children's Zoo in Laurier Park. The five member Board was composed of three individuals appointed by Council from a list provided by the Edmonton Zoological Society, and two members appointed by Council as citizen's-at-large members.
On August 29, 1961 Bylaw 2202 was passed, merging the Parks Department and Recreation Department to form the Parks and Recreation Department. The amalgamation took effect January 1, 1962.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of meeting minutes, correspondence, reports, and one scrapbook relating to the activities of the Parks Department.
An order has been imposed on the material. The arrangement includes 5 series. The series are as follows:
- Series 1: Administration
- Series 2: Financial
- Series 3: Parks and Facilities
- Series 4: Correspondence with Outside Organizations
- Series 5: Scrapbooks
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Reproduction restrictions may apply.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms