Fonds RG-26 - City of Edmonton. License Department fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

City of Edmonton. License Department fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Object

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on name of creator.

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1905 - 1928 (Creation)
    City of Edmonton License Department

Physical description area

Physical description

10 cm textual records. - 1 cm ephemera

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

Prior to the creation of the License Department, the task of issuing licenses and enforcing them was the responsibility of, Thomas McCallum was hired by the Police Department as a constable and license inspector in 1903. After the License Department was established McCallum became the City License Inspector.

The License Department was responsible for collecting licence fees established by City Bylaws, issuing licence certificates, and checking premises in the City to see that necessary licenses are obtained. The necessity of obtaining licenses was meant to bring the City additional revenue as well as to regulate, and control or prohibit certain activities. As example, in 1931 there were over 70 different types of licenses, ranging from $2 for a male dog, to $250 for a beer license north of the river and south of 118 Avenue.

There were close relationships between the License Department and other City departments due to the nature of the work. For example, license payments were collected by the Assessor's Department until 1924, then by the Comptroller's Office until 1927, and then by the Police Department. The Police Department was also involved in inspecting for licenses and enforcing the license bylaws.

Around 1932 the License Department was renamed the License and Collection Department.

The License Department was dissolved in 1954 after it was decided it should be . The amalgamation was Effective January 1, 1955, the License Department was absorbed by the Business Tax & License Section of the Assessor's Department.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records kept regarding the different types of licenses granted by the City in the early 1900s. It also includes examples of licenses purchased from the City.

The fonds consists of the following files:

  • File 1: Ledger of Licenses Granted (1909-1911)
  • File 2: Ledger of Dog Tags Issued (1905-1909)
  • File 3: Ledger of Dog Tags Issued (1909-1911)
  • File 4: Ledger containing Business Licenses Issued (1908-1911) and Dog Tags Issued (1908-1922)
  • File 5: License issued to Mah Jim to keep a restaurant at 264 Namayo Avenue known as “The Frisco Restaurant” (1909)
  • File 6: Dog tag #2451, issued to Mrs. L. Doherty for a black spaniel (1918)
  • File 7: Dray license #160 for a two horse vehicle (1928)
  • File 8: License register (1905-1906)
  • File 9: Ledger of documents stamped with the seal of the City of Edmonton (1914-1915)
  • File 10: Licenses Paid (1915-1916)

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The ledgers were transferred to the City of Edmonton Archives by the Finance Department in 1993. The dray license was donated by Mrs. R. J. Servant in 1967. The dog tag and the restaurant license were donated by persons unknown to the Historical Division of the City of Edmonton Parks and Recreation Department in 1986. The license register came in through the Office of the City Clerk with other, non-related materials.


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

A microfilmed copy of the City's license register from May 1905-December 1907 is available in the microfilm room on reel 831031.

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.

Finding aids

See Scope and content above.

Associated materials

Related materials


No further accruals are expected.

General note

Accession numbers: A67-596, A68-108, A93-59, A2003-87

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

City of Edmonton Archives

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms



Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Physical storage

  • Box: RG Room