The City of Edmonton Archives Committee formed on September 26, 1938 and was renamed the Archives and Landmark Committee in 1947. The committee actively collected records and artifacts. Their outreach activities included running exhibit spaces in the Civic Block and marking buildings and significant locations with plaques and monuments.
In 1966, the Archives and Landmark Committee bylaw was amended and the Edmonton Historical Board (EHB) was formed as part of the Parks and Recreation Branch. The EHB concentrated on commemorating Edmonton's heritage through the annual Plaques and Recognition Awards. Parks and Recreation took over the archives and artifacts, forming the City of Edmonton Archives and the City's Artifacts Centre.
Prince of Wales Armouries
Inclusive Dates: 1880s - current
Predominant Dates: 1892 - current
Holdings consist of the permanently valuable records of the Corporation of the City of Edmonton and surrounding areas acquired by annexation. This material includes Council minutes, bylaws, correspondence, administrative records and photographs.
Also included in the Archives are manuscript collections relating to founders of Edmonton and district, records of local businesses, sporting organizations, social clubs, other organizations and individuals.