Item EA-792-101 - Christ Church Anglican - West

Original Digital object not accessible

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Christ Church Anglican - West

General material designation

  • Graphic material - photograph

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on content of image.

Level of description

Item

Reference code

CA EDM RG-21-2-3-EA-792-101

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 2006 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 photograph : tiff

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

12116 - 102 Avenue.
Christ Church was designed by a parishioner, the architect William Blakey, and built in 1921 not far from the site of the original 1909 church. The Reverend Robert Jefferson, the Bishop of the Diocese of Ottawa from 1939-1955, was the first rector. On November 7, 1909, the Bishop of Calgary presided over the opening of the old church located 116 Street and 102 Avenue. The first service in the building was held on October 9, 1921, under the rectorship of the Reverend J.M. Comyn Ching.
This Tudor-style structure featuring uncovered Douglas Fir beams in a scissor construction in the interior, is modeled after the famous Tintern Abbey in Great Britain. The parish hall was added in 1925 and the rectory built in the 1930's. Stained glass windows have been generously donated over the years by parishioners, reflecting the reverence and esteem in which the church is held by its members.
Once on the outskirts of the city, Christ Church is now part of a large urban community. The character of the building exemplifies the spiritual vision of its congregation.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

  • Copyright held by City of Edmonton.
  • Reproduction restrictions may apply.

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Photographer: unknown

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

City of Edmonton Archives

Rules or conventions

  • Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
  • Thesaurus for Graphic Materials (TGM)

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres