Title and statement of responsibility area
Charles Camsell Hospital fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material - photograph
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on name of creator.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1961 - 1986 (Creation)
- Charles Camsell Hospital
Physical description area
15 cm of textual records. – 9 photographs. – 14 negatives
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Charles Camsell Provincial General Hospital operated in Edmonton between 1946 and 1996. Until 1980, the hospital was owned and operated by Indian Health Services. Although primarily utilized as a tuberculosis hospital, the Camsell also provided general care in the form of maternity, pediatric, and medical services.
Although eventually renamed after Dr. Charles Camsell, a former Deputy Minister of Mines and Resources, the original hospital building was built by the Jesuit order for their boy’s college, Francis Xavier Academy, in 1914. The new building was leased to the American military for use as a forward operating base for the construction of the Alaska Highway until 1944.
After its merger with the Royal Alexandra Hospital in 1993, the Charles Camsell Hospital was slowly closed until it served its final emergency room patient in 1994. The Charles Camsell Provincial General Hospital officially closed on March 31st, 1996.
It is not known how the Provincial Museum of Alberta acquired the records.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of guest books from various Camsell Hospital functions, a hospital visitor's log, Christmas menus and cards, Long Service Award event programs, and photographs. The photographs include images of the hospital buildings throughout its history, portraits of board members of the hospital, and outdoor scenes of Indigenous people.
Immediate source of acquisition
The fonds was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by the Provincial Museum of Alberta in 1992.
The material was arranged according to the filing system of the creator.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
File list available online.
- Provincial Archives of Alberta - PR0383: Charles Camsell Hospital fonds
- Alberta Health Services Archives - Royal Alexandra Hospital and Charles Camsell Provincial General Hospital fonds
No further accruals are expected.
Accession number: A92-24
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms