Title and statement of responsibility area
Andrew L. Parnham fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material - photograph
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[ca. 1900] - 1976 (Creation)
- Parnham, Andrew L.
Physical description area
50 cm of textual records. - 10 photographs. - 2 objects
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Andrew Lawrie Parnham was born on 27 Nov 1888 in Inverkip, Renfrewshire, Scotland to Andrew and Isabella Parnham. He came to Edmonton in 1911 and worked as an electrician.
The 51st Battalion, CEF, was authorized in November 1914. Andrew Parnham enlisted in the 51st Battalion in August 1915 (Regimental no. 437649). After shipping to Britain with the battalion (April 1916) he was transferred with a group sent to reinforce the 15th Battalion (perpetuated by the 48th Highlanders of Canada). He fought in the Battle of the Somme, where he was wounded, and later in the Battle of Amiens.
In World War II, Parnham re-enlisted with the Loyal Edmonton Regiment, which perpetuated the 51st Battalion but returned after one year due to illness. He was a founding member and secretary of the 51st Battalion Association.
He married Ellen Morrison on 15 Sep 1922. Ellen, born in Glasgow, Scotland, came to Canada in 1911 with her parents, eventually moving to Edmonton in 1920. Andrew and Ellen Parnham had two children, a daughter Laura (Mrs. H. L. Gibbons) and a son, Douglas. Andrew Parnham died 16 May 1977.
51st Battalion Association (1919-1975)
Lt. Col. Reginald de Lotbinere Harwood, formerly of the 101st Regiment (EdmontonFusiliers), was authorized to raise the 51st Battalion (Edmonton’s Own) in December 1914. In November 1915 the Battalion was the first unit to occupy the Edmonton Drill Hall (later known as the Prince of Wales Armouries, now known as the Prince of Wales Armouries Heritage Centre). Sixteen of the commissioned officers had risen through the ranks of the Fusiliers and some were veterans of the Boer war.
The 51st Battalion embarked for the European front as part of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEP) leaving Edmonton for Halifax by train on April 1, 1916. From Halifax, they travelled to Great Britain aboard the S.S. Olympic. In Britain the battalion was posted to the 12th Infantry Brigade of the 4th Division being organized at Bramshott Camp, but it was broken up to provide reinforcements for units already in action. Ultimately the 51st Battalion was perpetuated by The Edmonton Regiment (now the Loyal Edmonton Regiment (3 Batt. P.P.C.L.I).
The 51st Battalion Association was organized by veterans of the battalion. After its 60th anniversary banquet in April 1975 the association was disbanded. Andrew L. Parnham was acting secretary of the 51st Battalion Association at the time it was disbanded.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of a documents, photographs, scrapbooks and news clippings related to Andrew Parnham’s military service and the 51st Battalion, C.E.F.
This fonds also consists of records of the 51st Battalion Association, including minutes, correspondence, membership and financial records and the nominal roll of officers, non-commissioned officers and men of the battalion. It also includes the association gavel and the leather briefcase that held the association records.
The material is arranged into two main sections, Andrew L. Parnham and the 51st Battalion Association.
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by Andrew Parnham in 1976, 1977 and 1983.
The material was arranged by the archivist by creator.
The photographs were assigned item numbers with the prefix EA-307 and arranged in chronological order.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.
Finding aid available online.
No further accruals are expected.
Accession numbers: A76-162, A77-36, A93-126
Duplicate 'loan to copy' material securely disposed.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description
Script of description
Digital object metadata