Fonds MS-109 - Amos Skinner fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Amos Skinner fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA EDM MS-109

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1975 (Creation)
    Creator
    Skinner, Amos

Physical description area

Physical description

1 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1912-2002)

Biographical history

Amos L. Skinner was born in 1912 to Amos Ezekiel Skinner and Agnes Taylor. He was the grandson of early Riverdale resident, Harry Taylor.
Amos married Margaret W. Jeffrey in 1941 in Edmonton. They had three children: Doug, Carolyn and Barbara. Amos worked as a carpenter and caretaker, and did construction work. Amos Skinner died 5 Mar 2002 in Edmonton.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of a collection of historical sketches on the Riverdale area created by Amos Skinner. It includes lists of street names in Riverdale and of Principals at Riverdale School.
The records include references to Mr. D.B. Fraser, Fraser’s Mill and Mr. J.B. Little.
The community of Riverdale is located along the North Saskatchewan River. Settlers arriving in the 1880s were quick to develop this large flat area, which was just one mile downstream from Fort Edmonton. One of the first arrivals was Daniel Robert Fraser, who started a flour and sawmill in the flats in 1881. The area became known as Fraser Flats until the community changed the name to Riverdale in 1910.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

This fonds was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by Amos Skinner in 1975.

Arrangement

The material was arranged according to the filing system of the creator.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.

Finding aids

See Scope and content above.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

General note

Accession numbers: A75-18

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

City of Edmonton Archives

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Physical storage

  • Box: MS Room