Title and statement of responsibility area
Alberta Hotel collection
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of collection.
Level of description
CA EDM MS-159
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[ca. 1910] (Creation)
- Alberta Hotel
Physical description area
0.5 cm of textual records. – 1 object
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Alberta Hotel, built in 1903 for Del Grierson, was the first major brick structure on Jasper Avenue. It featured Alberta's first elevator and was the hotel in which Prime Minister Wilfrid Laurier stayed during the inauguration of the province of Alberta in 1905. It later became the property of McDougall & Secord Limited and was sold to Louis Lucas in the late 1940’s. The Lucas family ran the hotel until the 1980s. The hotel was dismantled and put into storage in 1984. It was rebuilt in 2012 on Jasper Avenue, near 97 Street.
Hannah Lister inherited the ‘ribbon’ from her mother-in-law, whose sister had received the ribbon when she first moved to Edmonton. It is not known how Milner & Steer (law firm) acquired the record.
Scope and content
The collection consists of items from, or advertising, the Alberta Hotel.
File 1 - Alberta Hotel advertisement on ribbon featuring a list of hotel rules and schedules as well as advertisements for Edmonton businesses [ca. 1910].
File 2 - Alberta Hotel envelope, addressed to ‘Alec Cote, City’.
Immediate source of acquisition
This collection was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by Mrs. Hannah Lister in 1968 and Milner & Steer in 1985.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.
See Scope and content above.
No further accruals are expected.
Accession numbers: A68-126, A85-43
Formerly known as the Hannah Lister collection.
Ribbon advertisement has been encapsulated.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
City of Edmonton Archives
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms