Mostrar 790 resultados

Registo de autoridade

Old Strathcona Foundation

  • AR-MS-113
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1972 - current

The Old Strathcona Foundation (OSF) was founded in 1972 in response to citizens' concerns about the future of the Old Strathcona area of south Edmonton. A 1976 agreement between the Foundation, the City of Edmonton, and Heritage Canada paved the way for a successful program of heritage preservation and renewal in the area.

Rogers, Edith Blanche

  • AR-MS-161
  • Pessoa singular
  • 1894 - 1985

Edith Rogers was born in Upper Stewiacke NS on September 20, 1894, the daughter of S.G. and Mahala (Graham) Cox. She came to Alberta and attended Camrose Normal School. She worked for the Bank of Montreal and taught school before marrying William Wright Rogers, a school teacher in Ponoka AB on October 23, 1923. In 1935 she was elected Social Credit MLA for Ponoka, defeating John E. Brownlee, previously the Premier of the United Farmers of Alberta government, but she was defeated in the next election, 1940. She quit the Alberta Social Credit Party in 1941 and joined the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation, serving for a time as Edmonton president. She ran several times unsuccessfully to become an Edmonton alderman and school board trustee, before being elected to the Edmonton Public School Board in 1959, serving until she retired in 1974. She died in Edmonton, Alberta on July 17, 1985.

Williams, Margaret

  • AR-MS-178
  • Pessoa singular
  • n.d.

Margaret Williams came to Edmonton with her husband, Stanley, in 1943. She was active in the Anglican church and in the scout and guide movement, as well as many other charitable organizations. Her husband was assistant editor of the Edmonton Journal and together they co-authored a travel series in the paper.

Greek Orthodox Community of Edmonton and District

  • AR-MS-189
  • Pessoa singular
  • 1945 - current

The Greek Orthodox Community of Edmonton and District was established with the founding of St. George Greek Orthodox Church in 1945.

Edmonton Hotel

  • AR-MS-191
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1876 - 1925

The Edmonton Hotel began in 1876 when Donald Ross turned the second floor of his homestead into a dormitory and started serving meals. Three expansions took place over the next 25 years. The hotel played an important part in Edmonton's early life, acting as a meeting place as well as a hostelry. The hotel was managed by Joseph Hostyn from about 1908 to 1915. The wooden hotel building burnt down in 1928.

City of Edmonton. Engineer's Department

  • AR-RG-50
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1904 - 1971

The Engineer's Department was established in 1904 by Bylaw 266 (To provide for the appointment of a Town Engineer and to define his duties). As laid out in this Bylaw, the duties of the Town Engineer included streets and their improvement and repair, sidewalks and their construction and repair, sewerage, electric light and power, the City Market, nuisance grounds (dumps) and the disposal of refuse, and the purchase of material for municipal purposes. This was a very large responsibility for one office, and over the next few years many of these functions were moved elsewhere.

In 1906 the Fire Department went from a volunteer system to a paid system, and soon thereafter it became independent of the Engineer's Department.

In 1912 a Parks Department was established, and responsibility for parks was removed from the Town Engineer, but due to a poor economy, by 1913 the Parks Department had folded and the duties were reabsorbed by the Engineer. The City Engineer oversaw parks, which included the City Market, until the Parks Department was re-established in 1947.

By 1914 the utilities (the power house, the water works, sewerage, and electric light and power) had become separate entities and were no longer the responsibility of the City Engineer.

In 1949 the Engineer's Department began operation of a gravel pit south of Mayfair Golf Course (on land later known as Mayfair Park/Hawrelak Park).

Around 1951 the department was renamed the Engineering Department. In 1952 the activities of the Engineering Department included: design, construction and maintenance of bridges, roads, lanes, sidewalks and sewage systems; scavenging and garbage disposal; traffic engineering; the maintenance of mechanical equipment; street cleaning and snow removal; maintaining a complete accounting system (excluding payroll), including capital and operating budges and cost control; making recommendations on labour issues; collaborating with City departments concerning utility matters; and related administrative duties.

In 1953 the department began setting up district yards to disperse equipment around the city and reduce travelling time. A committee of utility and construction superintendents was also set up to coordinate work on jobs.

Formerly an independent department, between 1961 and 1966 Waterworks was operated as a section within the Engineering Department.

The department had intermittent responsibility for airports. Prior to World War II the City Engineer was responsible for the Municipal Airport and Cooking Lake Air Base. From 1964 to 1965 there was an Industrial Airport division, which likely provided support to the Municipal Airport.

In 1971 the Engineering Department was dissolved when it merged with the Edmonton Transit System.

McIntyre, Art

  • AR-MS-203
  • Pessoa singular
  • [19--?] - 1971

Arthur Waites McIntyre was born in Middleton, Ontario. He came to Edmonton in 1914 and studied at Strathcona Collegiate Institute and the University of Alberta, graduating with an arts degree. After serving in the Canadian Officers' Corps he worked for the Camrose Canadian newspaper and then joined the Edmonton Bulletin. He rose from reporter to become day editor of the morning edition before joining the Edmonton Journal in 1926. Here he served as a reporter, provincial editor, marketing editor, and librarian. Mr. McIntyre died in 1971.

Thompson, Jean and Hector

  • AR-MS-206
  • Família
  • n.d.

Hector Thompson, and his sister-in-law, Jean Thompson lived in Millet, Alberta. The Thompson's were prominent members of the United Farmers of Alberta movement.

Fry, John W.

  • AR-MS-208
  • Pessoa singular
  • 1876 - 1946

John Fry was born in Woodstock, Ontario in 1876. He worked as a school teacher and homesteaded in Saskatchewan before moving to Edmonton in 1911, where he entered the contracting and real estate business. He was elected alderman in 1932, a position he held for five years. In 1937 he was elected Mayor of Edmonton. He was re-elected each of the next eight years before retiring in 1945 due to ill health. John Fry was married with five children, one of whom, Gladys Fry, was a member of the Edmonton Grads basketball team. He died in 1946.

Edmonton Board of Public Welfare

  • AR-MS-213
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1914 - n.d.

The Committee on Unemployment was appointed by the president of the Edmonton Board of Trade on August 18, 1914. Within a month this committee became the Edmonton Board of Public Welfare. Its main purpose was to give financial aid to deserving residents of Edmonton. The Visiting Committee, later known as the Advisory Committee, based its recommendations for aid on need, morality, and the ability of the applicants to find work. Most funding was obtained through government grants (Mothers' Pensions and Later Mothers' Allowances) but occasional fund-raising drives were held by the board.

Resultados 1 a 10 de 790