Mostrar 844 resultados

Registo de autoridade

Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre

  • AR-MS-267
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1979-current

The Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre is located in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada. The Centre opened in 1979 and was designed to house and display records and objects that reflect the heritage of the Northwest Territories.

Sunday Visit Series

  • AR-MS-476
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1964-1965

The Sunday Visit Series was a television program broadcast by CFRN Television 1964-1965. The show was hosted and produced by Harry Farmer, professional musician and performer who was the Music Director at CFRN in Edmonton from 1958 to 1973.

Finance Department

  • AR-RG-18
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1893-1997

The financial management of the City has played an important role in the function of civic government since Edmonton's incorporation as a town.

Office of the Town Treasurer
In 1892 the Office of the Town Treasurer was established, and was responsible for providing financial advice for the efficient management and accountability of public funds. All financial transactions were recorded in the Town Treasurer's Ledger. In 1899 this office was changed to the Office of the Secretary Treasurer, a combination of the position of Treasurer and City Clerk. This lasted until 1912, when the positions were separated into the Office of the City Clerk and the City Treasurer's Department.

Treasurer's Department
The Treasurer's Department was responsible for receiving and safely keeping all money belonging to the City; paying money as directed by law or by bylaw; depositing all money for Council; jointly signing necessary checks with the Mayor as well as debentures, promissory notes and other securities; and preparing and submitting regular financial reports stating moneys at the credit of the City. In the early 1910s the Treasurer maintained the fiscal integrity of the departments, and kept a General Ledger that summarized the financial position of the City as a whole, including capital liabilities and assets of utilities. In 1952 the Treasurer's Department was responsible for receipt of payments for all City accounts except for permits and police fines; technical direction for cashiering and cash handling for all City departments; preparation and issue of checks except payroll; banking and financial arrangements; custody of securities; records of pension payments; and planning and directing the work of the Mechanical Accounting Division.

Office of the Town Auditor
In 1892 the Office of the Town Auditor was established, and was responsible for auditing the accounts of the municipality. The successor to this office was the Office of the Comptroller and Auditor, established in 1915. This new entity had expanded duties which included recording all expenditures authorized by council and issuing necessary vouchers for payments, auditing books and accounts of all departments, and preparing quarterly and annual financial statements for the City. The Treasurer was still responsible for the management of the City Treasury. The Comptroller and Auditor had jurisdiction over all City departments and could make any recommendations deemed expedient. By 1930 the Office of the Comptroller and Auditor had become the central accounting centre handling the current and capital accounts, accounts receivable and payable, and annual statements. In 1942 the Comptroller and Auditor began examining and reporting upon all books and accounts of the Edmonton Exhibition Association, the Edmonton Hospital Board, the Edmonton Library Board, the Local Board of Health, the Town Planning Commission, the Stadium Commission, and the Boxing Commission.

Comptroller's Department
In 1952 the Office of the Comptroller and Auditor became the Comptroller's Department, which was responsible for the planning and technical direction of general accounting procedures for the City; checking and approval of inter-departmental invoices, salary and wage change slips and contract payments; preparation of accounts payable and general ledger records; consolidation of annual budgets; preparation of annual financial report and other consolidated financial and statistical reports; maintenance of employees personal history and earnings records; unemployment insurances, workmen's compensation, and group and other insurance matters; and calculation of pension amounts and advice to employees. By 1955 the Department was also responsible for microfilm services.

During the early to mid 20th century these various bodies were responsible for the City's finances, and often work together. For example City Comptroller, along with the City Auditor and the Treasurer, were joint custodians of the Sinking Fund in the 1930s.

Finance Department
The Finance Department was established in 1960 when the Comptroller's Department was combined with the Treasury Department. The department's core responsibility was to plan, control, preserve and effectively use the financial resources of the City of Edmonton.

The Finance Department originally had three divisions: Treasury, Administration, and Central Accounting. In 1961 the data processing function of the Mechanical Accounting Department was transferred to Central Accounting Division. In 1965 the Finance Department was reorganized into four divisions. The Administrative division was responsible for budget preparation, general administration, and microfilming and stationary services for all city departments. The Treasurer operated a centralized collection and receipting system for all moneys paid to the City of Edmonton, handled short term borrowing and investment, control of the funds under the Sinking Fund Trustees, operation of the Traffic Tag Accounting system, and custody of the City vault. The Central Accounting division was composed of two sections: Data Processing and Central Accounting, it was responsible for payroll, accounts receivable and accounts payable, statement of revenue and expenditure, system planning, and coordination of data processing for all city departments. The Purchasing Division operated a central purchasing system for all City Departments and maintained a central stores and a small truck rental service.

In 1968 the Finance Department had five divisions: Treasury, Comptrollers, Budget Control, Central Records and Reproduction, and Purchasing.

In 1973 Risk Management, the city's insurance function, became a separate section of the Finance Department.

In 1974 the Purchasing Branch was renamed the Materials Management Branch and the Budget Control and Research Branch was separated from Finance to become a separate department.

In 1976 the Tax Collection function separated from Assessor's Department and became a branch of the Finance Department.

In 1977 the Bylaw Enforcement Department was created to centralize inspection and enforcements. The licensing and permit functions of Finance were transferred to Bylaw. Also that year the Central Supply and Services Department was formed and took over the Materials Management Branch from Finance. By the end of 1977 the Finance Department consisted of the Treasury Branch, Controllers Branch, Risk Management Section, Administration Section, and Tax Collection Section.

When the Bylaw Department was disbanded in 1984 the Building Inspection Branch was incorporated into the Planning Department, while the rest of Bylaw's functions went to Finance. The Document Services Section joined Treasury Branch, Security Section joined Risk management Branch, Bylaw administration staff joined Finance's Administration Branch, and Enforcement Branch was transferred in its entirety to Finance.

Also in 1984 the Utilities Services Department became a branch of Finance, except for Customer Services, which went to Edmonton telephones.

In 1985 the Corporate Budget Office was transferred to the Finance Department, and Document Services was transferred to the Police Department. In the same year Departmental Financial officers were transferred to the Finance Department, reporting to the newly formed Corporate Controller's Office.

By 1985 the Finance Department had nine branches: Accounting; Administration; Corporate Budget Office; Corporate Controllers' Office; Bylaw Enforcement (including the City Pound); Finance Policy Research and Development; Risk Management and Security; Treasury; and Utility Services.

In 1987 the Insurance Adjustments and Claims Section of the City Solicitor's Office was relocated to the Finance Department, becoming part of Risk Management and Corporate Security.

In 1988 the Assessment Office and the Material Management Branch joined the Finance Department.

In 1990 the Finance Department's responsibility of issuing grants-in-aid to non-profit organizations was passed on to the Parks and Recreation Department and the Community and Family Services Department.

In 1991 there was a major reorganization. The Department now consisted of five branches and two offices: Financial Services Branch, Financial Policy & Corporate Accounting Branch, Assessment and Taxation Branch, Materials Management Branch, and Utility Services Branch, and the Internal Audit Office and Human Resources Services Office.

In 1992 the Utilities Services Branch was moved to Edmonton Power. Also that year the Materials Management Branch divided into two branches: Purchasing and Printing Branch, and Corporate Inventory and Warehousing Branch.

In 1994 bylaw officers in Finance began enforcing unlawfully parked vehicles through the Traffic Bylaw. For the past 34 years they had enforced only the Dog Bylaw. Also in this year the Information Services Branch was formed from the Computing Resources Department and the Purchasing and Printing Branch, and Corporate Inventory and Warehousing Branch merged back into the Materials Management Branch.

The Finance Department was dissolved in 1997 when it was combined with the Computing Resources Department, the Law Department, and the Office of the City Clerk to form the new Corporate Services Department.

Recreation Commission

  • AR-RG-20-S-2
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1944-1957

November 27, 1944 Bylaw 1069 was passed, establishing the Recreation Commission. The Commission had nine members: two from Council, one Public and one Separate School Board member, and five other sports minded citizens, all to serve two year terms. Their purpose was to advise Council and anyone else hired by the City to deal with issues relating to recreation. The Commission also promoted and maintained all civic recreational facilities. Programming included sports, dancing, music and dramatics. The Commission was not responsible for municipal golf courses, swimming pools, or property or projects under the purview of the Edmonton Exhibition Board or the Edmonton Boxing and Wrestling Commission.

The Recreation Commission acted in an advisory capacity to the civic administration in all matters affecting the development, maintenance, extension and use of all recreation grounds owned or controlled by the City.

On January 14, 1957 Bylaw 1804 was passed, dissolving the Recreation Commission and establishing a Recreation Board. The Board consisted of nine members: one member of City Council, one Public and one Separate School Board member, and four citizens nominated by the Nominating Committee of Council.

Recreation Board

  • AR-RG-20-S-3
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1957-[ca. 1961]

On January 14, 1957 Bylaw 1804 was passed, dissolving the Recreation Commission and establishing a Recreation Board. The Board consisted of nine members: one member of City Council, one Public and one Separate School Board member, and four citizens nominated by the Nominating Committee of Council. The Recreation Board acted in an advisory capacity to the civic administration in all matters affecting the development, maintenance, extension and use of all recreation grounds owned or controlled by the City.

Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues

  • AR-MS-491
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1921-current

The Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues (EFCL) is a coalition of community leagues joined for the purpose of promoting volunteerism, community involvement, and the creation and development of new community leagues. While the first community leagues were established in the 1910’s, the EFCL was founded in 1921 in order to present a stronger political voice to the Edmonton City Council. The EFCL also advocates for the interests of community leagues involved in issues that encompass all of Edmonton.

Parks Department

  • AR-RG-22
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1911-1913, 1947-1961

In 1911 City parks were operated by Paul A. von Aueberg under the City Engineer. There was a Parks Commission, which likely provided guidance to the development of the parks system, to which City Engineer A.J. Latronell was appointed in 1911. On April 1, 1912 Parks became an independent department, with von Aueberg as superintendent. The early Parks Department was tasked with establishing, maintaining, and improving all parks and parkland in the city.

Due to a financial crisis the Parks Department was closed by order of Council on August 21, 1913 and the parks function reverted to the Engineer's Department. Over the next thirty-four years the Engineer's Department guided the parks system: the parks were maintained and expanded, Borden Park Zoo established, the Municipal Golf Course was created, swimming pools and hockey rinks were built, boulevards constructed, trees planted, and the community leagues movement began.

On January 13, 1947 the Parks Department was resurrected when Council approved the formation of the City Parks Department. The Parks Department had 180 staff, mostly transferred from the Engineer's Department.

A 1952 organizational chart lists the responsibilities of the re-established Parks Department as the maintenance of City parks, boulevards, the football stadium, the zoo, and rinks; the maintenance and operation of cemeteries including issuing permits, collecting fees, and removing snow; the maintenance and operation of golf courses and swimming pools; the operation of concessions in parks, swimming pools and golf courses; and maintaining complete accounting records.

The Zoo Advisory Board was established on 1959 through Bylaw 1967. The Board's function was to provide advice to City Council in connection to projects and policies relating to zoological issues, particularly in respect to the Children's Zoo in Laurier Park. The five member Board was composed of three individuals appointed by Council from a list provided by the Edmonton Zoological Society, and two members appointed by Council as citizen's-at-large members.

On August 29, 1961 Bylaw 2202 was passed, merging the Parks Department and Recreation Department to form the Parks and Recreation Department. The amalgamation took effect January 1, 1962.

City of Edmonton. Management Services Department

  • AR-RG-1
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1971-1976

Management Services, under Superintendent H. B. Fraser, provided a wide range of technical and informational assistance to all other City Departments. Its sole purpose was to service the changing requirements of the City as evidenced in the particular demands of operating departments and other service functions.

Major functions of the department were organizational planning and analysis, equipment selection, office layout, forms design and control, a complete computing service which included systems design, operation and maintenance, records management, printing and reproductions. The department was divided into five main branches: Analytical Services, Computer Systems, Computer Operations, Microfilm and Records (Mail Services), and Printing and Reproductions.

Business Development Department

  • AR-RG-23
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1971-1982

The Industrial Development Board was approved by Council in 1945 and was responsible for promoting industrial development in Edmonton and to advise City Council and the City Commissioners. In 1957 the Industrial Development Board became the Land and Industrial Development Department, but two years later it was dissolved into the Land Department and the Industrial Development Department. The Industrial Development Department was responsible for promoting Edmonton as a destination for industry.

In 1971 the Industrial Development Department was renamed the Business Development Department to more accurately represent the work being done. The primary purpose of the Business Development Department was to develop and execute programs to attract and facilitate all aspects of economic and industrial growth in the Edmonton area. Through its involvement in resource development and tourism the department also played a vital role in the promotion of the city and its facilities. Specifically, it was instrumental in the growth and development of Klondike Days and Fort Edmonton Park, which were used as promotional tools at Expo '67 in Montreal. The department also assisted in the development and promotion of the Yellowhead Highway route across western Canada.

The Business Development Department was dissolved in 1982 when it was replaced by the Edmonton Economic Development Authority.

City of Edmonton License Department

  • AR-RG-26
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1910-1954

Prior to the creation of the License Department, the task of issuing licenses and enforcing them was the responsibility of, Thomas McCallum was hired by the Police Department as a constable and license inspector in 1903. After the License Department was established McCallum became the City License Inspector.

The License Department was responsible for collecting licence fees established by City Bylaws, issuing licence certificates, and checking premises in the City to see that necessary licenses are obtained. The necessity of obtaining licenses was meant to bring the City additional revenue as well as to regulate, and control or prohibit certain activities. As example, in 1931 there were over 70 different types of licenses, ranging from $2 for a male dog, to $250 for a beer license north of the river and south of 118 Avenue.

There were close relationships between the License Department and other City departments due to the nature of the work. For example, license payments were collected by the Assessor's Department until 1924, then by the Comptroller's Office until 1927, and then by the Police Department. The Police Department was also involved in inspecting for licenses and enforcing the license bylaws.

Around 1932 the License Department was renamed the License and Collection Department.

The License Department was dissolved in 1954 after it was decided it should be . The amalgamation was Effective January 1, 1955, the License Department was absorbed by the Business Tax & License Section of the Assessor's Department.

Resultados 51 a 60 de 844