Showing 349 results

Authority record

City of Edmonton. Edmonton Police Department

  • AR-RG-60
  • Corporate body
  • 1892-

The Edmonton Police Department was established in 1892 through Bylaw 15, which provided for the appointment of special constables. This bylaw allowed the mayor to appoint constables as necessary, for a period of no more than 30 days. Prior to this, law and order in Edmonton was under the jurisdiction of the North West Mounted Police. In 1900 the position of Chief of Police was established and the department began to take on the character of a modern police force. By 1912 the Police Department had a staff of seventy-one, and by 1920 four stations were in operation. From as early as 1929 until 1954 there were two main units: Uniform Division and Detective Division. It should be noted that a particular area of interest for the Detective Division was second hand stores, the equivalent of modern day pawn shops, due to their association with property crime.

In 1954 City Council appointed M. F. E. Anthony as the new Chief of Police. Anthony secured more autonomy for the force, and instituted a new departmental organization. It comprised two main units: Administration and Operations, each of which contained multiple sections. Administration included Personnel, Recording, Accounting, Identification, Modus Operandi, Central Filing, a Typist Pool, and the Orderly Room, which included court detail, gaol duty, switchboard operations and the garage. Operations included Patrol Division, Traffic Division, and a Criminal Investigation Division.

Due to the changing reality of policing, as well as a considerably larger department, a complete reorganization occurred between 1971 and 1972. Two sections were created that reported directly to the Chief of Police: the Research and Development Section and the Inspections and Internal Affairs Section. In addition, three bureaus were created: the Administrative Services Bureau (which included the Fiscal and Equipment Division and the Personnel and Training Division); the Technical Service Bureau (which included the Communications Division, the Information Division and the Court and Gaol Division); and the Operations Bureau (which included the Patrol Division, the Criminal Investigation Division and the Special Operations Division).

Although new initiatives have been added and existing sections rearranged or dissolved, this general administrative structure has remained.

City of Edmonton. Management Services Department

  • AR-RG-1
  • Corporate body
  • 1971-1976

Management Services, under Superintendent H. B. Fraser, provided a wide range of technical and informational assistance to all other City Departments. Its sole purpose was to service the changing requirements of the City as evidenced in the particular demands of operating departments and other service functions.

Major functions of the department were organizational planning and analysis, equipment selection, office layout, forms design and control, a complete computing service which included systems design, operation and maintenance, records management, printing and reproductions. The department was divided into five main branches: Analytical Services, Computer Systems, Computer Operations, Microfilm and Records (Mail Services), and Printing and Reproductions.

City of Edmonton. Parks and Recreation Department

  • AR-RG-21
  • Corporate body
  • 1962-

The Parks and Recreation Department was established on January 1, 1962 through the amalgamation of the Parks Department and the Recreation Department. The newly formed department was responsible for all City-owned recreational facilities and parklands. This included all parks, arenas, and pools, as well as facilities such as Fort Edmonton Park, the Storyland Valley Zoo, the Planetarium, John Walter Museum, golf courses, City leisure centres, and municipal cemeteries. The department also provided recreation opportunities to citizens. These changed over time, but included athletics, dramatics, crafts, daycare, play school, camping, clubs, and dance.

The Parks and Recreation Department was led by a Superintendent from 1962 until the early 1970s, at which time the position was reclassified as a General Manager. The head of the department reported to the City Commissioners until 1983, when the Commissioners’ positions were dissolved and replaced a the City Manager.

There were a number of advisory boards that provided advice to City Council regarding a number of issues relating to the work of the Parks and Recreation Department. Over time these included the Zoo Advisory Board, the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board, the Edmonton Historical Board, and the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Advisory Board.

When the Parks and Recreation Department was established there was an administrative division, a research and planning division, a programme division (which included pools, the planetarium [later the Space Sciences Centre], and playgrounds), a construction division, and a maintenance division. The Storyland Valley Zoo was part of the Parks and Recreation Department but operated independently from the larger divisions.

The division names changed slightly over the next few years but the functions remained the same until 1966, when the Historical section, including the Historical Exhibits Building and John Walter Museum, was assigned to the department. This relieved the Historical Board of its administrative duties and allowed it to focus on an advisory role. Also this year operation of municipal cemeteries (including Beechmount, Edmonton and Mount Pleasant) was transferred to the General Maintenance Division of Parks and Recreation.

In 1967 the department underwent a significant restructuring meant to create a more logically aligned and balanced organization. The new divisions included Administration, Development (including planning, design, engineering, construction, forestry), Program Resources (formerly the Programs Division), Community Programs (divided by district), Revenue Programs (such as aquatics, arenas, zoo, planetarium, concessions, and golf courses), Maintenance (including forestry, horticulture and cemeteries), and Historical Development. This structure lasted until at least 1971.

In 1978 the Edmonton Space Sciences Foundation was established to plan for the creation and operation of a Space Sciences Centre. When this dream was finally realized in 1984 the Planetarium was closed.

By 1980 the Parks and Recreation Department had been reorganized into four units: Operations, Administrative Services, Planning and Development, and Major Facilities. Yet another reorganization occurred by 1988, by which time the organization of the department had become less centralized. The units at the time included Administrative Services, Marketing and Major Facilities Branch, Leisure Centres, Recreation and Culture Branch, Parks Maintenance Branch, Horticultural Services, and the Development Branch. The following year the Recreation and Culture Branch was renamed the Community Leisure Services Branch.

In 1992 the organization contracted to five units: Administrative Services, Community Leisure Services Branch, Major Facilities Branch, Parks Operations Branch, and Parks Development Branch. In 1993 Community Leisure Services Branch was renamed Community Recreation and Culture Services Branch. This organizational structure remained until 1997.

In 1997 the Parks and Recreation Department was reorganized as part of City ‘97, and became the Community Services Department. In 2016 the department was renamed Citizen Services.

City of Edmonton. Planning Department

  • AR-RG-17
  • Corporate body
  • 1949-

A Town Planning Commission was established in 1929 to advise Council on matters pertaining to town planning. The Town Planning Department was established in 1949. The responsibility of the Planning Department was articulated in a 1952 organizational chart, which stated that the Town Planning Department was responsible for long and short term planning of the use and layout of the city, the preparation of layout plans for subdivisions and other specific projects, the approval of buildings plans for zoning and type of structure, and providing advice to City management on town planning matters.

In a 1983 brief to new City Councillors, Planning's function was stated as being "concerned with the way the city grows. It studies and provides advice on city development, especially the social, economic and environmental effects of growth and change. Planning considers how much land will be needed for housing, shops, industries, parks and transportation. It considers where each type of development should be located."

In 2015 the Sustainable Development website puts it the simplest terms possible. "The work of this department concentrates on planning and executing for the development needs of today and the future."

Civic Centennial Committee

  • AR-RG-7-S-4
  • Corporate body
  • 1963-1967

In January of 1962, Edmonton's Finance Committee recommended to City Council that a Centennial Committee be established to look into restoring Fort Edmonton for the Centennial. From this request grew the Edmonton Civic Centennial Council, an arms-length organization dedicated to coordinating Centennial activities in Edmonton.

The Civic Centennial Council, later called the Civic Centennial Committee, was responsible for planning Centennial festivities on behalf of the City. They provided information, promoted and coordinated activities, and made recommendations to the City on Centennial-related issues.

The Committee was managed by an executive directorate of representatives from civic government, business and industry, citizen organizations, and voluntary community groups. They reported to the City Commissioners.

Civic Elections and Census Enumeration

  • AR-RG-8-S-8.11
  • Corporate body

The Office of the City Clerk was responsible for overseeing the administration of civic elections. One of the duties was to keep track of eligible voters through voters' lists, which were created for every municipal election until the practice was discontinued in 1995 due to costs. For reasons of efficiency, the civic census and voter enumeration was done at the same time.

Between 1896 and 1968 civic elections were held according to the following schedule. 1896-1929 annually on the 2nd Monday in December 1930-1943 annually on the 2nd Wednesday in November 1944-1951 annually on the 1st Wednesday in November 1952-1963 annually on the 3rd Wednesday in October 1964-1968 every 2nd year on the 3rd Wednesday in October Since 1971 elections have been held every 3rd year on the 3rd Monday in October

Clark, Cuthbert

  • AR-MS-947
  • Person
  • 1895-1970

Cuthbert Norman Clark was born 6 Aug 1895 in Vancouver, British Columbia. His father was Robert Clark (1845-1909), an entrepreneur born in Scotland and who immigrated to Canada in 1861. Robert Clark was active in business on the west coast of Canada and the United States before settling in Vancouver in 1886, where he would sit on City Council and the Vancouver Board of Trade.
In 1928 Cuthbert Clark took his family on a vacation from Edmonton to northern British Columbia to visit the Kitwanga Totems and back through the Kettle Valley, BC.
Cuthbert Clark died in 1970 and is buried in Vancouver’s Mountain View Cemetery

Clark, Esther A.J.

  • AR-MS-22
  • Person
  • 1984-1972

Esther Alida Josafina Levin was born 17 Apr 1894 in Chicago, Illinois, USA, to Alida Johnson and John P. Levin. She travelled with her family from Little York, Illinois to Alberta in 1904. The Levin family, who were of Swedish decent, homesteaded near Daysland, Alberta. Mr. Levin worked for the Carbee Ranch before establishing his own farm. Mr. Levin passed away in 1911. As the oldest child, Esther continued to work on the farm.
In 1917 she married John Clark, from Durham, England. The couple lived in Camrose before moving to Edmonton in 1924 where they raised a family. They had eight children – John, Violet, Mabel, Esther, Kenneth, Lawrence, Norman and Raymond.
Esther Levin Clark died 6 Apr 1972 and is buried in the Edmonton Cemetery.

Clark, G.D.

  • AR-MS-23
  • Person
  • [ca. 1875-19--]

All that is known is that G.D. Clark lived in Edmonton in the late 1800s into the 1900s.

Clubs / Entertainment Venues

  • AR-MS-595-S-11
  • Corporate body
  • [ca. 1969]-current

Gay clubs and bars operated openly in Edmonton from 1969 onwards. The first club established (ca. 1969) was called Club 70 and was located at 10242-106 street. It ceased operating in 1977, and at this same location was briefly the Cha Cha Palace (late 1970’s), Boots and Saddle Nightclub (ca. 1978-2010), and finally The Junction Bar and Eatery (2010-2012). Boots and Saddle also operated Boots: the Blue Room, Simply Boots, and the Garage Burger Bar (1997-2010). Flashback Nite Club opened first in 1976 at 11639 Jasper Avenue, and then relocated to 103rd Avenue and 104 street, closing ca. 1991. The Roost Club opened in September 1977, initially open for men only, but expanded to include women in the following year. Buddy’s Nite Club opened on 124 street in ca. 1994, remaining there for 15 years, and operated its final six years on Jasper Avenue, closing in 2015.
Other LGQBT bars in Edmonton included Prism, for queer women, closing in 2010; Woody’s Pub on Jasper Avenue; Secrets Bar and Grill on 107th street; and Play Nightclub downtown. Another organization important as a social and entertainment outlet for Edmonton’s gay community was 'The New Royalist Social Society of Northern Alberta: The Imperial Sovereign Court of the Wild Rose', established in Edmonton in 1976 as part of an international Imperial Sovereign Court system. As well as providing entertainment for the gay community, the Imperial Court expanded its role to raise funds for gay and gay positive charities, and established a scholarship fund and the Star of Hope fund. Many of the gay bars and clubs hosted fundraising events or partnered with other organizations to raise monies for local community initiatives. [Some information provided by Rob Browatzke of The Junction.]

Results 61 to 70 of 349