Mostrar 812 resultados

Registo de autoridade

Anderson, Peter

  • AR-MS-218
  • Pessoa singular
  • 1868-1945

Peter Klaus Anderson was born in Havendrup, Svendborg on the island of Funen, Denmark, 24 Apr 1868 to Niels Jorgen Anderson and Anna Clause. He immigrated to Canada in 1888, first working in Winnipeg, then later hunting and trapping in northern Manitoba. He arrived in Edmonton about 1891 and by 1901 had established his own brickyard, called the Anderson Brickyard in Strathcona.
Me married Mary Anne Allen on 2 Jan 1895 and they had four children, Jennie, Albert (Bert), Ethel and Francine.
He enlisted, wrote the military officer’s examination and joined the 101st Edmonton Fusiliers in 1907, which went on active service as the 9th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force. In 1914 he was part of the first contingent of Canadian soldiers in World War I to go overseas serving as a major in the 3rd Canadian Brigade. In England his regiment was dismantled and Anderson was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, Queens Own Regiment. He was taken prisoner on 24 Apr 1915, during the second battle of Ypres in Belgium and spent three months in a German prisoner-of-war (POW) camp. He escaped from the German prisoner-of-war camp at Bischofswerda, near the Bohemian border with Austria-Hungary. He travelled on foot and by rail to Flensburg, in Schleswig, then walked across the border to Denmark. He made his way back to England where he was then received by the King of England and decorated. He was the first Canadian to successfully escape from a German POW camp.
He subsequently served with the Canadian Training Division, Shorncliffe, England as Officer Commanding, Sniping and Scout Classes, with military intelligence and in the Allied intervention in northern Russia during the revolution. He was a Lieutenant Colonel at his discharge. He returned to live in Edmonton, Alberta.
Mary Anne Allen Anderson died 24 Jun 1931 and Peter retired to Vancouver, B.C. Peter Anderson died 6 Aug 1945.

Wagner, William P.

  • AR-MS-244
  • Pessoa singular
  • 1899-1986

William P. Wagner was born 1 May 1899 in Edmonton, to Philip and Amelia (Berg) Wagner. William had four siblings, Rudolph, Edward, Dorothy and Gertrude.
William attended Queen’s Avenue School and then Victoria High School. Upon graduation from Victoria High School in 1916, he completed six months training at the Camrose Normal School. The following year, at the age of 16 yrs, he began his teaching career in the one-room Castle School in the Fort Saskatchewan, AB, area. He served in the Royal Flying Corps during the First World War. Upon returning to Edmonton, he taught in Daysland and Viking, AB., then became principal of the high school in Mannville, AB. In 1929, he took a teaching position at the Strathcona High School. In the 1930’s, he attended the University of Alberta, earning his undergraduate and graduate degrees in education while teaching at Alberta College and the Edmonton Technical School at night.
In 1942 he enlisted in the Canadian Army, serving in the personnel section in Canada and overseas until his discharge with the rank of Major in 1946. Back in Edmonton he joined the Edmonton Public School Board as its first counselor and head of the board’s department of guidance. In 1950 he became the Assistant Superintendent of the school board, then Deputy Superintendent in 1954. He served as Superintendent of the School board from 1955 to 1964. Upon retirement in 1964, a school in Edmonton was named after him and he was given the Distinguished Service Award by the Alberta Teachers’ Association. The University of Alberta awarded an honorary doctor of laws to William Wagner in 1982.
William married Olinda Manz and they had three children, Dorcas, Elaine and William.
William P. Wagner died 6 Aug 1986.

Leonard, David

  • AR-MS-266
  • Pessoa singular
  • 1945-current

Dr. David Leonard was born in Fairview, Alberta in 1945 and has worked extensively in historical and archival circles in Edmonton. He started work in 1969 as an Archival Assistant at the Provincial Archives of Alberta. He returned to school for his doctorate in history between 1971 and 1975 after which he worked at the City of Edmonton Archives. From there he went to Yellowknife in 1977 to become the first Territorial Archivist at the Prince of Wales Museum. He returned to Edmonton in 1981 as the senior archivist in charge of government records at the Provincial Archives of Alberta. In 1993 he was appointed Provincial Archivist. Dr. Leonard transferred from the Provincial Archives of Alberta to Alberta Historic Sites Services, where his research in northwest Alberta resulted in the publication of numerous works.
Dr. Leonard is also an established writer, his works include ‘A Builder of the Northwest: The Life and Times of Richard Secord’, a work commissioned by the Richard Secord family, as well as articles in various newspapers, and journals. He has been a prominent founder and member of several heritage organizations including the Historical Society of Alberta and the Society for the Protection of Architectural Resources in Edmonton (SPARE).

Hyde, Mary Capling

  • AR-MS-253
  • Pessoa singular
  • 1870-1945

Mary Ann Capling was born 5 Nov 1870 to Elizabeth Linglebach and Louis Capling in Mornington Township, Ontario. She married Matthew Hyde on 30 Dec 1891 in Perth, Ontario. They had four children, Alice Elizabeth, David Louis, Robert John (Johnny) and Robert Deane (Robbie).

On 25 Apr 1900 they moved to a farm in Oxdrift, in northeast Ontario. Mary began keeping a diary on 1 Jun 1900 in which she recorded events about the family, friends and neighbourhood.

In spring of 1910 they sold their farm and Matt took their stock (cows and horses) to Swift Current, Saskatchewan. Mary and her children, Alice and David, went to be with Mary’s parents in Tavistock, Ontario while Matt was away. The family was separated for 9 months. The separation was a great strain on Mary and she did not write in her diary during this time. Also during this time she gave birth to her third child, Johnny, on 21 Jul 1910 in Tavistock. Johnny Hyde died six months later on 16 Jan 1911, due to infantile paralysis (polio). The family was reunited when Matt returned from Saskatchewan. He gathered his family from Tavistock in March 1911 and they returned to Oxdrift. At this time, they decided to move west to Edmonton.

On 16 Apr 1911, the family left Oxdrift by car and arrived in Edmonton on 29 Apr 1911. They first stayed at the Waverly Rooming House (on Fraser) and a few days later moved to their own home at 11740 – 83 Street (originally known as 676 Johnston). The family settled into life in Edmonton. In the diary entry for 9 Apr 1914 Mary noted there were many children, including 16 babies, at the Children’s Shelter. On 14 Apr 1914 Mary welcomed a fourth child, baby Robert Deane (Robbie) from the Children’s Shelter, into her family.

On 7 Jul 1915, Matt enlisted in the Canadian military and became a Private in the 66th Overseas Battalion (100562). Matt trained in Calgary with the 66th Battalion from August to November 1915 and then returned to Edmonton. On 21 Apr 1916, the 66th Battalion left Edmonton by train. They departed from Halifax aboard the S.S. ‘Olympic’ on April 28, 1916.
Matt was killed in action in northern France, likely near Courcelette, on 26 Sep 1916 during the battle for the Schwarn Redoubt on the Somme Front. As he dies on the field, he handed a small wallet to a fellow soldier with instructions that the photos inside be sent home to Edmonton. That soldier was also killed but the photos were passed on through many hands, eventually reaching the Chaplain of the Battalion, who sent them to a contact in Edmonton. However the contact in Edmonton did not recognize the photos so she forwarded them to the Edmonton Journal. The Edmonton Journal published one photograph (30 Oct 1916) with the headline ‘Dying Soldier Sends Photos; Recipient Now Seeks Owner’ and it was recognized by the Hyde family.

Mary and her family remained in Edmonton. Alice Hyde married Edward (Eddie) W. Cyre in 1919 in Edmonton. They moved to a farm in Vegreville and had five children – Hazel, Verda, Yvonne, Bill and Joyce. David Hyde did not marry but also farmed in the Vegreville area. David Hyde died in 1975. Robbie (Bob) Hyde married Midred L. Kerswill in 1937 in Edmonton and they had two daughters, Marion and Marlene. Bob was a Corporal in the Canadian military for many years and served overseas. Bob returned to Edmonton but later retired to British Columbia.

Mary Capling Hyde died 14 Mar 1945 and is buried at the Beechmount Cemetery. Matthew Hyde’s name is on the Vimy Memorial in France.

Sunday Visit Series

  • AR-MS-476
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1964-1965

The Sunday Visit Series was a television program broadcast by CFRN Television 1964-1965. The show was hosted and produced by Harry Farmer, professional musician and performer who was the Music Director at CFRN in Edmonton from 1958 to 1973.

Jones, Thomas H.

  • AR-MS-489
  • Pessoa singular
  • 1868-1914

Thomas Henry Jones was born in 1868 to James and Mary Jones in Manvers, Ontario (now City of Kawartha Lakes). Thomas married Mary Cashon, of Ireland, on 10 Feb 1892, in Lindsay, Ontario. Sometime between 1892 and 1895, James and Mary moved to Edmonton. Thomas worked as a carpenter/contractor and the family lived at 3rd St. Hudson’s Bay Reserve (HBR).
Thomas and Mary had three children, Lesa (born 1895), Meta (born 1899) and Vera (born 1903). All three daughters were born in Edmonton, NWT (now Alberta).
Lizzie Boyle, (age 19 in 1901), lived with the family as a domestic.
By 1911, Thomas, Mary and daughters had moved to Chilliwack, B.C.
Thomas Henry Jones died 7 Oct 1914 in B.C.

Recreation Department

  • AR-RG-20
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • [ca. 1946]-1961

The core function of the Recreation Department was to provide recreational opportunities for citizens of all ages. These included playgrounds and tot lots, sports, soap box derby races, and indoor activities such as friendship clubs, dramatics, dance, art, and handicrafts. To carry out these duties the Recreation Department had to plan for and maintain various sites throughout the city, though as of 1952 outdoor recreation areas other than school property were developed and maintained by the Parks Department. The Department also had to coordinate with numerous other organizations within the city that had an interest in promoting recreation or owned property used for recreation.

Before 1948 the department consisted of only a few employees to administer recreational activities, and a group of clerical staff (including an accountant) to handle administrative tasks. In 1948 two sections were added: Athletics, and Playgrounds and Centres. By 1952 a Recreation Building section had been created to run the City Recreation Building, out of which numerous recreational programs operated. In 1958 an Expressive Arts Section was established to oversee activities such as dramatics, art and handicrafts.

On August 29, 1961 Bylaw 2202 was passed, merging the Recreation Department and Parks Department to form the Parks and Recreation Department. The amalgamation took effect January 1, 1962.

Parks Department

  • AR-RG-22
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1911-1913, 1947-1961

In 1911 City parks were operated by Paul A. von Aueberg under the City Engineer. There was a Parks Commission, which likely provided guidance to the development of the parks system, to which City Engineer A.J. Latronell was appointed in 1911. On April 1, 1912 Parks became an independent department, with von Aueberg as superintendent. The early Parks Department was tasked with establishing, maintaining, and improving all parks and parkland in the city.

Due to a financial crisis the Parks Department was closed by order of Council on August 21, 1913 and the parks function reverted to the Engineer's Department. Over the next thirty-four years the Engineer's Department guided the parks system: the parks were maintained and expanded, Borden Park Zoo established, the Municipal Golf Course was created, swimming pools and hockey rinks were built, boulevards constructed, trees planted, and the community leagues movement began.

On January 13, 1947 the Parks Department was resurrected when Council approved the formation of the City Parks Department. The Parks Department had 180 staff, mostly transferred from the Engineer's Department.

A 1952 organizational chart lists the responsibilities of the re-established Parks Department as the maintenance of City parks, boulevards, the football stadium, the zoo, and rinks; the maintenance and operation of cemeteries including issuing permits, collecting fees, and removing snow; the maintenance and operation of golf courses and swimming pools; the operation of concessions in parks, swimming pools and golf courses; and maintaining complete accounting records.

The Zoo Advisory Board was established on 1959 through Bylaw 1967. The Board's function was to provide advice to City Council in connection to projects and policies relating to zoological issues, particularly in respect to the Children's Zoo in Laurier Park. The five member Board was composed of three individuals appointed by Council from a list provided by the Edmonton Zoological Society, and two members appointed by Council as citizen's-at-large members.

On August 29, 1961 Bylaw 2202 was passed, merging the Parks Department and Recreation Department to form the Parks and Recreation Department. The amalgamation took effect January 1, 1962.

Gay and Lesbian Archives of Edmonton

  • AR-MS-595
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1971-current

The Gay and Lesbian Archives of Edmonton was created to capture the history and the important records of various organizations created by and for the Gay and Lesbian community in Edmonton. An early organization, originating as a University of Alberta student and faculty group lobbying to change laws discriminating against homosexuals, was the Gay Alliance Toward Equality (GATE), formed ca. 1971-72. GATE evolved from a quasi-University activist group to one more representative of the general gay community in Edmonton, emphasizing social services for the community. They were a resource centre, providing peer counselling services and speaker referrals, while continuing to advocate for gay civil rights. GATE lost its Societies Act registration in 1986, and regained that status on November 4, 1987, restarting under a new name: the Gay and Lesbian Community Centre of Edmonton (GLCCE). GLCCE continued in the role of an information/education centre and was an important social gathering space for Edmonton’s gay population, hosting dances, a coffee house and video nights.

In 2004, GLCCE was restructured and renamed the Pride Centre of Edmonton. Meanwhile, in 1984 the Gay and Lesbian Awareness (GALA) Society was formed as a representative group to organize the Gay and Lesbian Celebration Week of June 1984. In July of 1984 the Alberta Human Rights Commission made recommendations for changes to the Individual’s Rights Protection Act which included the listing of sexual orientation as a prohibited ground for discrimination in employment. GALA represented other member groups in the campaign to see those recommendations implemented; it was incorporated under the Alberta Societies Act in May of 1987 to promote awareness of the gay community and issues that affect them among the general public of Edmonton, especially as concerns the granting of civil rights to homosexuals. Both the civil rights work and the PRIDE festival planning expanded beyond the confines of GALA, and this work was eventually taken over by other organizing bodies. GALA’s final year of registration as a Society appears to be in 1994, and post-1994 GALA efforts were assumed by GLCCE and then the Edmonton Pride Centre.

The Edmonton Pride Festival Society was formed in 1999 as the official non-profit organization charged with managing the Pride Festival events. In response to the growing awareness of the devastation HIV and AIDS was having amongst the gay population world-wide, the AIDS Network of Edmonton Society was incorporated as a non-profit society in 1984. In 1999, the AIDS Network of Edmonton changed its name to HIV Edmonton.

Other organizations, represented in the GALA fonds, include the University of Alberta’s GALOC (Gays and Lesbians on Campus) group, and numerous social and cultural groups. The first openly gay club, CLUB 70, opened in late 1969, and was followed over the years by many other gay entertainment venues and social groups. The Imperial Sovereign Court of the Wild Rose, both an entertainment outlet and important charity fundraiser, was established in Edmonton in 1976 as part of an international Imperial Sovereign Court system. An early sports body for gays in Edmonton was the Edmonton Roughnecks Recreation Association established in 1980; the Vocal Minority Music Society formed in 1983; and the first Gay newspaper published in Edmonton, “Fine Print” started as a spin off from the Edmonton Roughnecks newsletter. The library established at GATE, transferred to GLCCE and then the Pride Centre, collected and subscribed to a number of publications of interest to Edmonton’s gay community. They also maintained clipping and article files, gathered brochures and pamphlets on numerous topics, kept directories, and other reference materials. The history of Edmonton’s GLBTQ community is rich and diverse, and well-reflected in the GALA fonds housed at the City of Edmonton Archives.

Gay and Lesbian Awareness (GALA)

  • AR-MS-595-S-2
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1984-1994

The Gay and Lesbian Awareness (GALA) Society was formed in 1984 as a representative committee struck to petition the city of Edmonton to declare a Gay and Lesbian Awareness Day and Celebration Week for June 1984. GALA incorporated as a non-profit society in May of 1987 and after incorporation, broadened its mandate to include promoting awareness of the gay community and dealing with issues affecting them among Edmonton’s general public. An umbrella group, the GALA Civil Rights Committee, was formed to consider matters of civil rights and the law for Edmonton’s gay community (See Series 9).
A second umbrella GALA committee concerned with PRIDE planning and events was also active (See Series 5), and in 1992, a GALA-Police Liaison Committee was established. Both the civil rights work (including the police liaison committee work) and the PRIDE festival planning expanded beyond the confines of GALA, and their work was eventually taken over by other organizing bodies. It appears the final year of GALA’s registration as a Society was in 1994, and post-1994 GALA efforts were largely handled by the Gay and Lesbian Community Centre of Edmonton. The PRIDE Committee work was eventually taken over by the Edmonton Pride Festival Society.

Resultados 51 a 60 de 812