Showing 349 results

Authority record

Cavers, Charters Family

  • AR-MS-138
  • Family
  • 1863-1973

Cavers, Mary Beatrice 1888-1976
Cavers, Mary Miller 1863-1910
Charters, Charles 1875-1966
Charters, Christina Jean Cavers 1900-1973
Charters, Everett Eldbridge 1902-1972
Charters, Kenneth 1978-1944
Charters, Margaret Everett 1875-1963
Strachan, Marion Charters ca. 1930-current

Christina ('Chrissie') Jean Cavers was born 13 Dec 1900 to Mary Miller and Edmond Cavers in the municipality of Louise, Manitoba. Christine had six siblings - Mary, Thomas, John, Hugh, Nettie and Ann. By 1921, Chrissie was working as a teacher in Qu'Appelle, Saskatchewan.

Everett Eldbridge Charters was born 6 May 1902 to Margaret Everett and Charles Charters in Sunbury County, New Brunswick. Everett had seven siblings - Murray, Edna, Susan, Margaret, Leslie, Ralph and Rupert. By 1911, the family had moved to Kindersley, Saskatchewan.

In the mid 1920's, Christina Cavers married Everett Charters, likely in Saskatchewan. They had two children, Kenneth and Marion. Chrissie and Everett raised their family in Viscount, Saskatchewan, where Everett worked as a mechanic.

In 1969, Christina and Everett's son, Kenneth Charters, moved with his wife and children to Alberta. The family settled in St. Albert, and Kenneth worked in Edmonton as a mechanic and parts purchasing agent. Chrissie and Everett followed their son's move to Alberta. By 1971, Christina and Everett Charters were living in the Imperial Towers apartment on 101 Ave., in Edmonton, where Chrissie also worked as the janitor.

Christina and Everett's son, Kenneth, died 7 Feb 1972 in Edmonton at the age of 44. Everett Charters died a few months later on 27 Jun 1972. Christina retired and moved into the Meadowcroft Seniors Residence.

Christina Jean Cavers Charters died 9 Feb 1973 in Edmonton.

Chimo Youth Retreat Centre

  • AR-MS-90
  • Corporate body
  • 1970-current

The Chimo Youth Retreat Centre began operation in 1970 in order to provide a shelter and counseling for troubled youths between the ages of 14 and 18 in Edmonton. By 1976, the Chimo Youth Centre was operating three residences in Edmonton for at-risk youth. The Chimo Youth Retreat Centre works with community partners to assist young people on the road to independence. Their offices are located in downtown Edmonton.

Citizens Action Centre

  • AR-RG-7-S-2
  • Corporate body
  • 1980-2008

The Citizens Action Centre was established in 1980 under the Public Relations Department and became an independent entity in 1982 when the Public Relations Department was dissolved and its functions split between the new Corporate Communications Department and the independent Citizens Action Centre. Around 1984 or 1985 the Citizens Action Centre became a unit under the Corporate Communications section of the City Manager's Office. This arrangement lasted until 1997, when the City '97 reorganization moved both functions to the Corporate Services Department. This relationship lasted until at least 2007. In 2008 the Citizens Action Centre was dissolved and its function absorbed by the new 311 Call Centre, operated by Corporate Services.

The Citizens Action Centre provided a place for residents to contact if they could not find the correct department to speak with, or who were unsatisfied with the response they received from City staff. It soon evolved to become the first point of contact for most citizens.

The Chief Officer of the Citizen's Action Centre was Bette Loree, who ensured that a great deal of material pertaining to events in Edmonton was transferred to the City of Edmonton Archives, including an extensive collection of posters which the Citizens Action Centre presumably received as promotional material to display at City Hall.

Citizens' Cenotaph Committee

  • AR-MS-86
  • Corporate body
  • 1935-1946

The Citizens Cenotaph Committee was created in 1935 to complete the project to erect a cenotaph to honour the war dead of World War I that had been initiated by an earlier committee ca. 1929. It raised funds by public subscription and the cenotaph was unveiled by Lord Tweedsmuir, Governor-General of Canada, at a ceremony on Aug. 13, 1936. It was re-dedicated by Viscount Alexander of Tunis, Governor-General of Canada, on Aug. 26, 1946, to honour the war dead of World War II.

City Architect and Building Inspector's Department

  • AR-RG-16
  • Corporate body
  • 1909-1970

The Department for the Inspection of Buildings was established in 1909 by Bylaw 207. Prior to this the City employed a Building and Fire Inspector and a Plumbing Inspector, but they did not operate independently, and were likely part of the Engineer’s Department.

The Department for the Inspection of Buildings was responsible for the enforcement of building codes; providing building permits; the survey and inspection of buildings, scaffolding, and building sites; recording complaints made to the office; and the protection of buildings against fires and accident.

When it was established in 1909 the Department for the Inspection of Buildings was led the Inspector of Buildings. This position led the department until 1926, when building inspector Norman A. McIvor died while in office and was replaced by John Martland. Martland had been employed as the architect with the Engineer’s Department. In accepting the new position he was expected to continue his previous duties as well as fulfill those of the building inspector. It was at this time that the department became the Architect’s and Building Inspector’s Department, and the head became the City Architect and Building Inspector.

As of 1931, this department was responsible for providing plumbing permits, gas permits, moving permits, curb pump permits, and sign permits in addition to building permits. The department was also responsible for janitorial work at City buildings, and operation of the elevator at Civic Block.

By the 1950s the department’s responsibilities had grown. In 1952 the mandate of the Architect’s and Building Inspector’s Department was to provide architectural services for City buildings, approve building plans and issue permits, issue overhead sign permits, conduct inspections on construction to ensure City building code was being followed, conduct exams for trades certificates (but not for electricians), make recommendations concerning construction bylaws, the maintenance of civic buildings (except utilities and engineering departments) and provide mail service to City offices.

In 1957 the department took over responsibility for construction of all new City buildings. The department also worked with the Architectural Panel (established in 1950) to approve the construction of certain buildings.

By 1959 the internal structure had been simplified to only four sections: Accounting; Building Maintenance (which included a mail and security section); the Assistant City Architect; and an Inspection Division for building plans, construction, plumbing and heating.

By 1965, the department was headed by the City Architect and divided into three divisions: Architectural Design, Building Inspection, and Building Maintenance. The Architectural Design Division provided architectural services and advice to civic departments on construction projects. The Building Inspection Division inspected and controlled the construction of buildings and structures erected within city limits. The Building Maintenance Division provided and maintained working facilities for City staff in various City-owned buildings. This division also supervised janitorial staff, maintenance and carried out building alterations.

The Architect’s and Building Inspector’s Department was dissolved in 1970. The successors to the Architect’s and Building Inspector’s Department were the Planning Department (Building Inspection Branch) and the Property and Building Management Department (Architecture Branch, Maintenance, and Edmonton Community Housing Organization).

City Centre Co-operative Club

  • AR-MS-96
  • Corporate body
  • 1965-[197?]

The City Centre Co-operative Club formed February 24, 1965, at the Marian Centre in Edmonton. Its stated purpose was "promoting a spirit of cooperation among men and establishing mutual assistance programs among its members”. The Club had a membership fee of $1.00 per year. The first function of the club established a non-profit cooperative employment program to assist members in obtaining employment, which sent out men to 4,000 jobs by the middle of 1969. Though the club is no longer active, the Marian Centre in Edmonton continues similar work.

City of Edmonton Archives

  • RG-21-SB-2.4
  • Corporate body
  • 1966-

In 1966 Bylaw 1161 was repealed and replaced with Bylaw 2823, creating the Edmonton Historical Board, with almost identical roles and responsibilities to the City of Edmonton Archives and Landmarks Committee. It served in an advisory role to discover, select, index, catalogue and prepare for safe keeping, reference and suitable display all books, charts, maps, papers, photographs, paintings, property, chattels or objects of any description relating to the history, alteration and development of the City of Edmonton, including recommending purchases, housing and displaying of such material.

The Archives Policy was approved by City Council on April 5, 1971. It formally established the City Archives under the jurisdiction of the Parks and Recreation Department. The Archives’ objectives included acquiring, preserving, and making accessible records relating to the history of Edmonton, particularly those records relating to business conducted by the City of Edmonton. The Archives was also charged with increasing public interest and knowledge of Edmonton’s history through exhibition and displays. Archives staff worked closely with members of the Edmonton Historical Board, as well as staff at the Artifacts Centre, John Walter Museum, and Fort Edmonton Park.

City of Edmonton License Department

  • AR-RG-26
  • Corporate body
  • 1910-1954

Prior to the creation of the License Department, the task of issuing licenses and enforcing them was the responsibility of, Thomas McCallum was hired by the Police Department as a constable and license inspector in 1903. After the License Department was established McCallum became the City License Inspector.

The License Department was responsible for collecting licence fees established by City Bylaws, issuing licence certificates, and checking premises in the City to see that necessary licenses are obtained. The necessity of obtaining licenses was meant to bring the City additional revenue as well as to regulate, and control or prohibit certain activities. As example, in 1931 there were over 70 different types of licenses, ranging from $2 for a male dog, to $250 for a beer license north of the river and south of 118 Avenue.

There were close relationships between the License Department and other City departments due to the nature of the work. For example, license payments were collected by the Assessor's Department until 1924, then by the Comptroller's Office until 1927, and then by the Police Department. The Police Department was also involved in inspecting for licenses and enforcing the license bylaws.

Around 1932 the License Department was renamed the License and Collection Department.

The License Department was dissolved in 1954 after it was decided it should be . The amalgamation was Effective January 1, 1955, the License Department was absorbed by the Business Tax & License Section of the Assessor's Department.

City of Edmonton. City Assessor's Department

  • AR-RG-3
  • Corporate body
  • 1892-1988

The City Assessor’s Department was responsible for raising the funds necessary for basic municipal services through the collection of taxes. Beginning in 1955 the department was also responsible for administering the various licenses required by the City, including licenses for businesses, dogs, and mobile homes, and for collecting data for the census and voters’ lists.

In 1976 the tax collection function was moved to the Finance Department, and in 1988 the remainder of the Assessment Department was absorbed by the Finance Department as well.

City of Edmonton. Edmonton Municipal Airport

  • AR-RG-2
  • Corporate body
  • 1926-1971

On June 16, 1926 Edmonton's airport become the first licensed municipal airport in Canada. Upon its establishment the airport was the responsibility of the Engineer's Department. A short-lived and ill-fated experiment occurred in 1927 when the City leased the land to farmer Mary Watt, who was expected to clear the brush, graze animals and raise hay on the land while maintaining it as an air field. When this project failed the Engineering Department retook control of the airfield.

In 1929 the newly incorporated Edmonton and Northern Alberta Aero Club was given responsibility for the airport. A Council Report that year recommended that since the airport was owned by the City a municipal official should be placed in charge. As a result, the Finance Committee appointed James "Jimmy" Bell airport manager on February 5, 1930. A former WWI bomber pilot and active member of the Aero Club, Bell would be a fixture at the airport until his retirement in 1962. For the first few years Bell was responsible for maintaining the hangar and field, while the Aero Club continued the field operations. Airport construction was done by staff of the Engineer's Department.

In 1940, as a result of the airfield's important role in the war effort, the Federal Government took over operations of the Edmonton Municipal Airport. This lasted until November 1, 1946, at which point control of the airport was transferred back to the Engineer's Department.

In 1947 James Bell became Superintendent of the Airport, presumably making the airport a separate department. This is confirmed by the functional organizational charts of the 1950s and 1960s. During the 1950s and 1960s the airport superintendent supervised all construction, maintenance and operational activity associated with the airport. He supervised a staff of around twenty, which included clerks, maintenance workers, fieldmen, watchmen, electricians, and janitors.

In 1965 the Edmonton Municipal Airport returned to the control of the Engineer's Department for budgetary reasons, however this was short-lived, and on December 29, 1967 the airport became independent once more when a Bylaw to regulate the operation of the Edmonton Industrial Airport (No. 3092) was passed.

In 1971, as part of a departmental reorganization, the responsibility for the airport was given to the newly formed Engineering and Transportation Department.

On April 1, 1996 the Edmonton Municipal Airport was transferred to the Edmonton Regional Airports Authority under a 56 year lease.

Results 51 to 60 of 349