Showing 419 results

Authority record

Veterans' Volunteers' Reserve, South Edmonton Battalion Association

  • AR-MS-55
  • Corporate body
  • 1940 - current

The Veterans' Volunteer Reserve, South Edmonton Battalion was formed on July 26, 1940, shortly after the creation of the VVR by the Alberta government on June 19. Its members formed an auxiliary constabulary, primarily for surveillance and control of enemy alien activities in the city. After the end of the war the organization held annual reunions until 1956. When it disbanded, it donated its remaining funds to the Edmonton Home for Ex-servicemen's Children.

Village of North Edmonton

  • AR-RG-104
  • Corporate body
  • 1910-1912

Located at the juncture of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway and the C.N.R. lines and encompassing the subdivisions of Belvedere, Dwyer Addition, New Delton, Belmont Park, Dwyer Subdivision, Mount Lawn, and Santa Rosa, the Village of North Edmonton was incorporated as a village on January 26, 1910. At the time of incorporation the village had a population of about 400 with the majority of the residents working at the nearby Griffin meat packing plant or in factories situated in the northern sector of the City of Edmonton. The first action of the newly constituted community was to elect a village council with T. W. Fletcher as the chairman. The Village of North Edmonton operated a hospital, a post office, and its own police force. In 1913, partly fueled by a desire to have utility services extended to North Edmonton, the area was amalgamated by the City of Edmonton.

Village of West Edmonton

  • AR-RG-103
  • Corporate body
  • 1910-1917

The Village of West Edmonton was incorporated in July 1910. The village was located just to the northwest of Edmonton, and was bounded 127th Street on the west, roughly 113 Street on the east and the Grand Trunk Railway line on the south. The village was populated primarily by workers on the nearby railway lines. In 1917, the residents of the Village of West Edmonton voted to amalgamate with the City of Edmonton. The area came to be known as the Calder neighbourhood of Edmonton.

Waddell, Kathleen

  • AR-MS-1060
  • Person
  • 1915-2011

Kathleen Waddell was born 12 Mar 1915 to Nora and Robert Waddell in Edmonton. She worked as a stenographer in Edmonton. In 1943, she joined the Women’s Royal Canadian Naval Service (WRCNS or ‘Wrens’) at HMCS Nonsuch in Edmonton. After training in Galt, Ontario, she was stationed in Halifax, NS at the Stadacona Barracks, often referred to as HMCS Stadacona. The Wrens were disbanded in August 1946. Kathleen returned to Edmonton and worked as a stenographer but remained active in the Wrens Association all of her life. Kathleen retired in the late 1960’s and moved to Vancouver.
Kathleen Waddell died 3 Nov 2011 in Vancouver.

Waddell, Orville

  • AR-MS-1173
  • Person
  • 1890-1925

Orville (‘Orie’) Waddell was born 10 Oct 1890 to Charles and ? Waddell in Abalene, Kansas, USA. He married Mary Rebecca (Beckie) Halderman on 1 Nov 1892 in Kansas, Missouri. They had one son – Otis.
Orville left for Canada in 1902 after hearing of land for sale at a remarkably low price. Upon arriving in Edmonton, Orville found work on a boat hauling coal up and down the North Saskatchewan River. Beckie and Otis arrived in Edmonton the following year. Orville homesteaded in the Pine Ridge area (near Heatherdown, Whitecourt, Alberta). Orville Waddell died 30 Nov 1925 and is buried at the Heatherdown Cemetery in Whitecourt, AB.

Wagner, William P.

  • AR-MS-244
  • Person
  • 1899-1986

William P. Wagner was born 1 May 1899 in Edmonton, to Philip and Amelia (Berg) Wagner. William had four siblings, Rudolph, Edward, Dorothy and Gertrude.
William attended Queen’s Avenue School and then Victoria High School. Upon graduation from Victoria High School in 1916, he completed six months training at the Camrose Normal School. The following year, at the age of 16 yrs, he began his teaching career in the one-room Castle School in the Fort Saskatchewan, AB, area. He served in the Royal Flying Corps during the First World War. Upon returning to Edmonton, he taught in Daysland and Viking, AB., then became principal of the high school in Mannville, AB. In 1929, he took a teaching position at the Strathcona High School. In the 1930’s, he attended the University of Alberta, earning his undergraduate and graduate degrees in education while teaching at Alberta College and the Edmonton Technical School at night.
In 1942 he enlisted in the Canadian Army, serving in the personnel section in Canada and overseas until his discharge with the rank of Major in 1946. Back in Edmonton he joined the Edmonton Public School Board as its first counselor and head of the board’s department of guidance. In 1950 he became the Assistant Superintendent of the school board, then Deputy Superintendent in 1954. He served as Superintendent of the School board from 1955 to 1964. Upon retirement in 1964, a school in Edmonton was named after him and he was given the Distinguished Service Award by the Alberta Teachers’ Association. The University of Alberta awarded an honorary doctor of laws to William Wagner in 1982.
William married Olinda Manz and they had three children, Dorcas, Elaine and William.
William P. Wagner died 6 Aug 1986.

Walker, Ella May Jacoby

  • AR-MS-52
  • Person
  • 1892-1960

Ella May Jacoby was born in Windom, Minnesota in 1892. She moved with her family to Dundurn SK when she was ten. She studied art at the Chicago Art Institute and attended the Northwestern University School of Music. She met her husband, Osmond James Walker, while the two were students at the University of Saskatchewan. They were married in 1918, lived briefly in Montreal, where her husband earned a Ph.D. in Chemistry at McGill University, and moved to Edmonton in 1920, where he joined the staff of the University of Alberta.
Ella May Walker was an accomplished author, musician, and artist. She wrote a novel entitled 'Fortress North', which dealt with the early history of the Edmonton settlement. She also wrote a regular column for the Edmonton Journal. Ms. Walker was also prominent in the local art, theatrical, and musical communities. She was one of the first members of the City of Edmonton Archives and Landmarks Committee.

Walker, Thomas

  • AR-MS-777
  • Person
  • 1881-1970

Thomas Walker was born 8 Feb 1881 at Barlieth, Ayrshire, Scotland. He came to Edmonton in 1905 and joined the staff at the City of Edmonton. In 1906 he took the position of Assistant Assessor and then was appointed City Assessor and Tax Collector in 1912. Thomas Walker held this position for 37 years until his retirement in 1949.
He married Margaret Brown in 1905 and then had five children - Jean, James, Margaret, Thomas and Mary.
Thomas Walker died 3 Mar 1970 and is buried in the Edmonton Cemetery.

Walsh, Thomas Alphonsus

  • AR-MS-796
  • Person
  • 1921-1986

Thomas Alphonsus Walsh was born in Edmonton in 1921 to Frank and Mary Walsh. In 1945, at the age of 23yrs, Thomas moved to Anchorage, Alaska to work as a clerk for Northwest Airlines. By 1957 Thomas had returned to Edmonton, was married to Shirley and working as a car salesman. At the time of donation, he was working for Miller Motors.
Thomas A. Walsh died in 1986 and is buried at the Mount Pleasant Municipal Cemetery.

Walter, John

  • AR-MS-69
  • Person
  • 1849 - 1920

John Walter was born at Stenness, Orkney Island, Scotland on Aug. 12, 1849. He came to Edmonton in 1870 as a boat builder for the Hudson's Bay Company. In 1875 he started his own business on the flats on the south side of the North Saskatchewan River, opposite Fort Edmonton. Over the years he was involved in building boats and general carpentry - he built and operated the first river ferry. He also operated two lumber mills, a coal mine. He built and operated the City of Edmonton steamboat. He served on the first council of the Town of Strathcona and was a member of the Public School Board. He married Annie Elizabeth Newby on Oct. 21, 1886 and they had two sons, John William and Stanley. He died in Edmonton, Alberta on Dec. 25, 1920. The area where he lived and worked, Walterdale, is named for him.

Results 391 to 400 of 419