Showing 947 results

Authority record

Anderson, Peter

  • AR-MS-218
  • Person
  • 1868-1945

Peter Klaus Anderson was born in Havendrup, Svendborg on the island of Funen, Denmark, 24 Apr 1868 to Niels Jorgen Anderson and Anna Clause. He immigrated to Canada in 1888, first working in Winnipeg, then later hunting and trapping in northern Manitoba. He arrived in Edmonton about 1891 and by 1901 had established his own brickyard, called the Anderson Brickyard in Strathcona.
Me married Mary Anne Allen on 2 Jan 1895 and they had four children, Jennie, Albert (Bert), Ethel and Francine.
He enlisted, wrote the military officer’s examination and joined the 101st Edmonton Fusiliers in 1907, which went on active service as the 9th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force. In 1914 he was part of the first contingent of Canadian soldiers in World War I to go overseas serving as a major in the 3rd Canadian Brigade. In England his regiment was dismantled and Anderson was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, Queens Own Regiment. He was taken prisoner on 24 Apr 1915, during the second battle of Ypres in Belgium and spent three months in a German prisoner-of-war (POW) camp. He escaped from the German prisoner-of-war camp at Bischofswerda, near the Bohemian border with Austria-Hungary. He travelled on foot and by rail to Flensburg, in Schleswig, then walked across the border to Denmark. He made his way back to England where he was then received by the King of England and decorated. He was the first Canadian to successfully escape from a German POW camp.
He subsequently served with the Canadian Training Division, Shorncliffe, England as Officer Commanding, Sniping and Scout Classes, with military intelligence and in the Allied intervention in northern Russia during the revolution. He was a Lieutenant Colonel at his discharge. He returned to live in Edmonton, Alberta.
Mary Anne Allen Anderson died 24 Jun 1931 and Peter retired to Vancouver, B.C. Peter Anderson died 6 Aug 1945.

Andrekson, Margaret Weir

  • AR-MS-733
  • Person
  • 1927-2011

Margaret Weir was born in Edmonton in 1927 to Scottish immigrants. Her parents would also have a son after Margaret, William. Margaret attended Westglen High School before attending the University of Alberta. She would graduate with an English degree in 1949.

Margaret would then work as a reporter for the Edmonton Bulletin soon after her graduation. Later in 1949, Margaret married Alexander Andrekson. The couple would raise five children together.

Margaret was well-known for her volunteerism, a career she began in 1954 with the Junior League of Edmonton. In the later 1960’s and early 1970’s, she became a leader in both local and international settings in the charitable organization of women that promotes volunteerism. She would put in hours for a variety of organizations including the Edmonton Symphony Society, the University of Alberta Senate and Board of Governors, U of A hospitals, the Winspear Foundation, and the Edmonton Civic Centennial Committee, among many others.

Margaret would receive many awards in recognition of her volunteerism. Among the many awards and citations, she received an honorary degree from the University of Alberta in 1987, the Order of Canada in 1996, the Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal in 2002, and was inducted into the Edmonton Hall of Fame in 2007.

In 2011, Margaret Weir Andrekson passed away at the age of 83.


  • AR-MS-763
  • Person
  • 1992-current

The donors of the records were private citizens who wished to remain anonymous.

APEGGA Women's Club

  • AR-MS-125
  • Corporate body
  • 1949-2009

The APEGGA [Alberta Professional Engineers, Geologists and Geophysicists Association] Women's Club, also known as the Ladies Auxilliary E.I.C [Engineers' Institute of Canada], Engineers' Wives Association of Edmonton, Engineers' Wives Club, E.IC. and A.P.E.A. [Alberta Professional Engineers' Association], Engineers' Wives Club and Professional Engineers Wives' Club during its existence, was organized in September 1949. It was a social group, designed to acquaint wives of Edmonton engineers with each other. It organized social activities, interest groups and special events. It was renamed the APEGGA Women's Club in 1993 and was disbanded in 2009 at its 60th anniversary.

Archange Garneau Brady Family

  • AR-MS-717-S-2
  • Family
  • 1877-1988

Brady, Archange Garneau 1877-1918
Brady, James P. 1908-1967
Brady, Jeanne (Sr. Archange) 1911-1984
Brady, John Redmond 1913-unknown
DeGroot, Anne Brady 1906-1982
Olsen, Eleanor Brady 1909-1988

Archange Garneau was born about 1877 to Eleanor Thomas and Laurent Garneau in Strathcona, Alberta. Archange married James Brady and they had eight children – Anne, James, Eleanor, Jeanne, Redmond, Antony, Dorothy and Kathleen. Archange Garneau Brady died in 1918 in St. Paul, Alberta.

Archives and Landmarks Committee

  • RG-21-SB-2.2
  • Corporate body
  • 1947-1966

On November 9, 1946, Alderman James Harwood Ogilvie requested a report on the status of the City of Edmonton Archives Committee (RG 8.6-146/1). This appears to have initiated renewed interest in archives and historical issues by the City, leading to the passage of Bylaw 1121, establishing the City of Edmonton Archives Committee, January 27, 1947, later amended by Bylaw 1161, to change the name to City of Edmonton Archives and Landmarks Committee, March 8, 1948.

The Committee consisted of eight members, each serving a two year term, capable of being renewed. Under the bylaw, the Committee had an advisory role to discover, select, index, catalogue and prepare for safe keeping, reference and suitable display all books, charts, maps, papers, photographs, paintings, property, chattels or objects of any description relating to the history, alteration and development of the City of Edmonton including recommending purchases, housing and displaying of such material. The Committee continued in existence until May 24, 1966 when Bylaw 1161 was repealed and replaced with Bylaw 2823, creating the Edmonton Historical Board, with almost identical roles and responsibilities.

Archives Committee

  • RG-21-SB-2.1
  • Corporate body
  • 1938-[ca.1944]

The City of Edmonton Archives Committee was created by a resolution of City Council, September 26, 1938. The resolution stated: “That a Committee be set up to have charge of the Archives of the City, consisting of the senior of the Commissioners and two other citizens to be selected by council, same to be a permanent committee on Archives.” It can be construed to be limited to the archival records of the city, but the committee appears to have immediately expanded the mandate to acquire documentation and artifacts about the history of Edmonton (minutes, December 1, 1938).

The committee members, appointed by resolution of City Council, October 24, 1938, consisted originally of Albert Edward Ottewell, Registrar, University of Alberta, as Chairman; John Blue, Secretary, Edmonton Chamber of Commerce (formerly Alberta Provincial Librarian); and R.J. Gibb; City Commissioner; with Alfred Russell, City Clerk serving as Secretary and, initially, Custodian. The membership was expanded by resolution of Council, October 10, 1939, to include Hugh C. Gourlay, City Librarian, who also became City Archivist (minutes, September 11, 1940, p. 1).

The Committee appears to have become moribund sometime after the September 11, 1940 meeting. The only other records of activity relate to actions of Hugh Gourlay to identify space in the City Library for archival storage (December 1944). The committee continued to be listed in official City organization documents until 1944, but disappears from the 1945 lists.

Arends, Peter C.

  • AR-MS-605
  • Person
  • n.d.

Mr. Arends was a resident of Edmonton where he earned his B.Ed. and C.E.T. He was employed as a draftsman and then as an instructor of Architectural Technology at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology. He has since moved to Ontario and joined the Algonquin College of Arts and Technolgy.

Argue, Lois

  • AR-MS-417
  • Person
  • n.d.

Lois Argue has been a resident of Edmonton since 1941 and came to be associated with the Municipal Airport and the Alaska Highway and North West Staging Route. She was one of the first members of the R.C.A.F. 700 Wing and other military organizations. She is an avid collector of history and a photographer of everything "that was going to be no more", documenting historic buildings and events in and around the city. She has written for various media and for many old Edmonton families and compiled scrapbooks on many historical events. She has been the historian for the Northern Alberta Pioneers and Descendants and a member of the Edmonton Historical Registry.

Armstrong Drug Store

  • AR-MS-620
  • Corporate body
  • [ca. 1907] - 1993

George Seale Armstrong was born in Grey County, Ontario and came to Edmonton in 1905. He opened a drug store at 435 Namayo Avenue in ca. 1907. The location of the store changed over time with the final site built in 1910 with an addition in 1912 at 10331 - 97 Street (formerly Namayo Avenue). George Armstrong became the first mayor of the united cities of Strathcona and Edmonton when he elected in 1912. Armstrong Drug Store had several owners, the last being Stephanie Andrews,known as Tini to her customers. The Armstrong Drug Store ceased operations on December 10, 1993.

Results 31 to 40 of 947