The Alberta St George of England Society is a social and recreational institution dedicated to promote the preservation and continuation of English traditions and cultural pursuits in Edmonton. Established in 1982 due to the lack of an English pavilion at Edmonton's Heritage Days festival, the interests of the society have extended into sports, theatre, film, music, and other activities, with a concentration on all things English.
Garneau, Alexander 1880-1918
Garneau, Harold 1908-1999
Garneau, Oscar 1910-1996
Garneau, Charlotte 1912-1918
Alexander Garneau was born 22 Feb 1880 to Eleanor Thomas and Laurent Garneau in Strathcona, Alberta. Alexander married Anne Marie (Mamie) Akerblad and they had five children – Harold, Oscar, Charlotte, Alex, and Thelma. Alexander Garneau died in 1918 in Vegreville, Alberta.
McCauley, Alexander J.H. 1876-1948
McCauley, William Alexander 1917-1999
Alexander James Henry McCauley was born 1 Jul 1876 to Matilda Benson and Matthew McCauley in Winnipeg, Manitoba. At the age of 3 he moved to Fort Saskatchewan and later to Edmonton where his father homesteaded. Alex was very involved with the musical community in Edmonton, often performing as pianist or organist, including with the First Presbyterian Church Choir.
Alexander moved to Tofield, Alberta in 1907 to open a real estate and insurance office. He was an active part of the community in Tofield serving as mayor, as well as on the municipal school board, and in other community organizations.
Alexander married Barbara Ann Sinclair and they had three children – Helen Mary (1912-1997), Margaret Elizabeth (1914-2004), and William Alexander (1917-1999).
Alexander J.H. McCauley died 14 Mar 1948 in Tofield, Alberta.
William Alexander McCauley was born 14 Feb 1917 to Barbara Sinclair and Alexander J.H. McCauley. He started piano lessons at 6 yrs, and at 16 yrs he formed a dance orchestra that travelled around the Edmonton district and was broadcast on CFRN.
During World War II, he was made Assistant Bandmaster of the Toronto Manning Pool Band, but was later remustered to aircrew. He went on to become a pilot, then instructed on Harvard aircraft and received an Honorable discharge as a flying officer.
After the war, William returned to his musical career. He went on to become an accomplished pianist, composer, arranger, conductor and trombonist. A few of his many accomplishments include playing with the Toronto Conservatory Symphony, Ottawa Philharmonic Orchestra, the National Film Board Orchestra and the Toronto Summer Symphony. William worked as the Music Director for Crawley Films, and composed and conducted music for over 100 documentary films.
William Alexander McCauley died 18 May 1999 in Alliston, Ontario.
McCauley, Alexander 1860-1908
McCauley, Elizabeth 1866-1933
Alexander McCauley was born 15 May 1860 to Eleanor Latimer and Alexander McCauley in Owen Sound, Ontario. Alexander came to Edmonton in 1895, following in the footsteps of his brothers Matthew and Samuel. Alexander was a carpenter by trade and worked for his brother, Samuel. He took over his brother’s construction/house moving business following Samuel’s death in 1903.
Alexander married Elizabeth (?) and they had four children – Emmons (1892- ), Edna (1895-1902), Ethel (1898- ) and George (1899- ).
Alexander McCauley died 15 May 1908 in Edmonton after a three month illness.
In 1952, nine Edmonton women, led by Isabel Debney, created the Gray House Guild to raise money for the construction of a small nursing home for elderly patients and the convalescence of people who had been released from hospital and required further attention. Named for Edmonton's first Anglican Bishop, the Right Reverend Henry Allen Gray, the stated purpose of the group was to own, equip, and operate a small private nursing home primarily, but not exclusively, for elderly patients. The Guild incorporated under Alberta's Societies act in 1955, and began to lobby the federal, provincial, and municipal governments for their support of the hospital proposal. With revenue generated through its fundraising efforts and with grants from the federal and provincial governments the Gray House Guild officially opened its 50 bed Allen Gray Auxiliary Hospital in January 1963 on land donated by the City of Edmonton overlooking the Mill Creek ravine.
The American Women's Club of Edmonton was founded in January 1950 with Marie Wall as its first President. The early purpose of the club was mainly social but this later broadened to include welfare and social work. At its high point the club had 170 members. In 1975, the club celebrated its 25th anniversary. It is no longer in operation though it is unknown when the organization ceased.
The records in this series relate primarily to the functions of the Analytical Services, Computer Systems, Computer Operations branches.
The Analytical Services Branch, under Director Trevor Peach, was originally intended to provide the City with a staff of competent Work Study Technicians through a period of training and then reassignment to their departments. The concept developed to that of a permanent staff of qualified management Analysts with the capability for a broader approach to problem solving with the realization that Work Study was just one part of the problem solving approach. Their concept of service expanded to include work systems design and special assistance in office systems, forms design, organization, economic feasibility, financial studies and the provision of resource people for expediting the work of committees, and task forces.
The Computer Systems Branch, under Director George Mueske, was established to develop the various uses which could be made of a computer. It provided services that varied from providing courses in project control and critical path to actual systems design programming and implementation for specific projects. The branch had no authority to initiate new applications or to revise ones currently in use without the expressed wish of the department concerned.
The Computer Operations Branch, under Director Joe Davis, was responsible for data input, data control and twenty-four hour a day operation of the computer and auxiliary equipment.
Anderson, Robert Thompson 1880-1960
Anderson, Margaret “Greta” McPherson 1890-1979
Anderson, Malcolm Robert 1920-2007
Robert Thompson Anderson was born in Rapid City, Manitoba, on August 2, 1880 to William Anderson (1843- 1925) and Jane Struthers (1840-1907). William and Jane had four children: Clara Jane (1868- ), John (1873- ), Robert, and Walter (1883- ). In 1897, they moved west to Lemon Creek, in the Slocan Valley region of British Columbia. John also moved to the area to work as a druggist. By 1898, Robert had also moved to B.C. and was working in his brother's drug store. Robert became a prolific poet earning rave reviews and by 1900 The Slocan Drill was regularly publishing his poetry. One of his poems, titled The Message of Grief, on the death of Queen Victoria, was praised in both Toronto and Vancouver papers.
In 1905, Robert came to Edmonton and first worked at the W.H.Clark lumber company. By 1906, he joined the Edmonton Fire Department and became the Department's fourth staff member. In 1910, he married Isabella Edith McGhee (1888-1913) and they had one daughter, Clara Edith Anderson (1911-1933). Anderson continued to write poetry and his first book, The Old Timer & Other Poems, was published in 1909. Some of his poems were also published in the Edmonton Journal and Edmonton Bulletin.
Isabella McGhee Anderson died in 1913. Robert enlisted in 1914 with the Alberta Dragoons and served for the duration of the First World War. His attestation papers list his marital status as widower and according to the article, "The Kipling of the Kootenays," Robert's military pay cheques were sent to his sister Clara who was the guardian of his daughter Clara Edith. In 1916 Robert received a military medal for great gallantry when on reconnaissance patrol for pushing forward under sniper fire and when his horse was shot, he carried on dismounted and brought back reliable and valuable information as the enemy position. He was discharged on 20 Apr 1919.
Robert married Margaret ‘Greta’ McPherson Grant, a Scottish immigrant, in May 1919. He also took a position with the City of Edmonton's Health Department as Quarantine Officer. He remained in this position until his retirement in 1947. He then served with the Corps of Commissionaires for eight years.
Many of Robert Thompson Anderson poems were inspired from his work or reflect his activities, family and heritage: The Fire Laddie’s Call Three, De Health Inspector, and The High Hills of Scotland. Anderson had two more books of his work published, Canadian Born & Other Western Verse (October 1913) and Troopers in France (December 1932).
Robert and Margaret had two children, Malcolm Robert and Ailsa Theresa.
Robert Thomspon Anderson died 3 Apr 1960 and is buried at Edmonton’s Westlawn Cemetery.
Ethel Cameron Anderson was born in 1892 and was one of the seven women who enrolled in the newly established University of Alberta in 1908. She was a long-time resident of Edmonton and taught at the Strathcona High School. She retired from teaching in 1953.
Peter Klaus Anderson was born in Havendrup, Svendborg on the island of Funen, Denmark, 24 Apr 1868 to Niels Jorgen Anderson and Anna Clause. He immigrated to Canada in 1888, first working in Winnipeg, then later hunting and trapping in northern Manitoba. He arrived in Edmonton about 1891 and by 1901 had established his own brickyard, called the Anderson Brickyard in Strathcona.
Me married Mary Anne Allen on 2 Jan 1895 and they had four children, Jennie, Albert (Bert), Ethel and Francine.
He enlisted, wrote the military officer’s examination and joined the 101st Edmonton Fusiliers in 1907, which went on active service as the 9th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force. In 1914 he was part of the first contingent of Canadian soldiers in World War I to go overseas serving as a major in the 3rd Canadian Brigade. In England his regiment was dismantled and Anderson was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, Queens Own Regiment. He was taken prisoner on 24 Apr 1915, during the second battle of Ypres in Belgium and spent three months in a German prisoner-of-war (POW) camp. He escaped from the German prisoner-of-war camp at Bischofswerda, near the Bohemian border with Austria-Hungary. He travelled on foot and by rail to Flensburg, in Schleswig, then walked across the border to Denmark. He made his way back to England where he was then received by the King of England and decorated. He was the first Canadian to successfully escape from a German POW camp.
He subsequently served with the Canadian Training Division, Shorncliffe, England as Officer Commanding, Sniping and Scout Classes, with military intelligence and in the Allied intervention in northern Russia during the revolution. He was a Lieutenant Colonel at his discharge. He returned to live in Edmonton, Alberta.
Mary Anne Allen Anderson died 24 Jun 1931 and Peter retired to Vancouver, B.C. Peter Anderson died 6 Aug 1945.