Mostrar 790 resultados

Registo de autoridade

Civic Centennial Committee

  • AR-RG-7-S-4
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1963-1967

In January of 1962, Edmonton's Finance Committee recommended to City Council that a Centennial Committee be established to look into restoring Fort Edmonton for the Centennial. From this request grew the Edmonton Civic Centennial Council, an arms-length organization dedicated to coordinating Centennial activities in Edmonton.

The Civic Centennial Council, later called the Civic Centennial Committee, was responsible for planning Centennial festivities on behalf of the City. They provided information, promoted and coordinated activities, and made recommendations to the City on Centennial-related issues.

The Committee was managed by an executive directorate of representatives from civic government, business and industry, citizen organizations, and voluntary community groups. They reported to the City Commissioners.

Citizens Action Centre

  • AR-RG-7-S-2
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1980-2008

The Citizens Action Centre was established in 1980 under the Public Relations Department and became an independent entity in 1982 when the Public Relations Department was dissolved and its functions split between the new Corporate Communications Department and the independent Citizens Action Centre. Around 1984 or 1985 the Citizens Action Centre became a unit under the Corporate Communications section of the City Manager's Office. This arrangement lasted until 1997, when the City '97 reorganization moved both functions to the Corporate Services Department. This relationship lasted until at least 2007. In 2008 the Citizens Action Centre was dissolved and its function absorbed by the new 311 Call Centre, operated by Corporate Services.

The Citizens Action Centre provided a place for residents to contact if they could not find the correct department to speak with, or who were unsatisfied with the response they received from City staff. It soon evolved to become the first point of contact for most citizens.

The Chief Officer of the Citizen's Action Centre was Bette Loree, who ensured that a great deal of material pertaining to events in Edmonton was transferred to the City of Edmonton Archives, including an extensive collection of posters which the Citizens Action Centre presumably received as promotional material to display at City Hall.

HMCS Nonsuch

  • AR-MS-8
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1923-1964, 1974-current

HMCS Nonsuch began as a half company naval reserve unit in 1923 under the guidance of Lt. Commander A.B. McLeod. They were housed in two rooms in the Prince of Wales Armouries. In 1939 the company acquired a permanent barracks at 102 Street and 97 Avenue, formerly the Hudson's Bay Company Stables. During the Second World War the unit went on active service and several thousand naval volunteers passed through basic training. In 1948 it was decommissioned as an active establishment. After the war a full time staff of permanent Royal Canadian Navy reserve officers was established and the base was re-equipped. The unit was decommissioned in 1964 due to federal government cutbacks, but was reopened in 1974 and restaffed by Lt. Commander H.F. Wallace in 1975 to hold an eight week summer training camp for new recruits. Their new base of operations was in the Kingsway Armed Forces Recreation Centre. By the late 1980s and 1990s the unit was winning top honors among Canadian naval reserves.

Buckley, Marjorie W.

  • AR-MS-20
  • Pessoa singular
  • 1907-1985

Marjorie Buckley graduated from the University of Alberta with a degree in fine arts. A noted playwright in the Edmonton area, Ms. Buckley was also a teacher at Jasper Place Composite High School. In 1967 students in the Fine Arts Department at the school wrote and performed a play entitled "This Hour Has Ten Decades" as part of Canada's Centennial celebrations. The play was edited and arranged by Marjorie Buckley. The play was performed Thursday, Friday, Saturday February 16, 17, 18, 1967 in the Jasper Place Composite High School auditorium.
Marjorie Buckley died 11 May 1985 in Edmonton at the age of 78 years.

Douglas, James McCrie

  • AR-MS-27
  • Pessoa singular
  • 1878-1950

James McCrie Douglas was born 5 Feb 1867 in Middleville, Larnark County, Ontario to Presbyterian minister Rev. James Douglas and Margaret Blyth Douglas, both of Scotland. James McCrie Douglas was educated at Morris, Manitoba and became an early career there as a school teacher. He moved to Strathcona in 1894, where he operated a general store with his brother, R.B. Douglas. The Douglas Brothers’ store was located on the northwest corner of 104th Street and Whyte Avenue and soon became a landmark in the Strathcona area. The same year James married Mary Cameron Brickerton.
He was elected an alderman of Strathcona before 1909. In that year he was elected Liberal Member of Parliament for Strathcona, a seat he held until 1921. In 1911 he was chosen as part of the Canadian delegation which traveled to England for the coronation of King George V.
In 1914 James joined the Canadian Army. He worked in the Supply Division, achieving the rank of Captain. After the war, returning to Edmonton, he was elected a city alderman in 1922 and in 1929 he was elected Mayor of Edmonton, a position he held until 1931. In 1941 he was once again elected as an alderman and he remained in office until his retirement in 1949.
James McCrie Douglas also pursued farming after purchasing land (west half section 26, township 51, range 25, west 4th meridian) from Col. F. C. Jamison in 1922. Mr. Douglas spent a great deal of time over the next 10 years clearing the land and learning farming. In 1931 a nephew, J. Douglas Shaw, was sent to the farm for the summer to help James. Shaw would spend the following two summers on the farm with his uncle, eventually going to the Olds School of Agriculture. J. Douglas Shaw and his wife helped James McCrie Douglas on the farm after the death of Mary Douglas in 1947 and eventually took over the farm after James’s death.
James McCrie Douglas died on 16 Mar 1950 at at the age of 83 yrs.

Public Affairs Committee

  • AR-RG-8-S-8.7
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1968-[ca. 1990]

Specially appointed committees were struck to meet the needs of the City Council to respond to specific issues arising from the business of the City. Calls for investigation of administrative matters, organization of public meetings, special commemorative events, or fact finding to answer questions raised by aldermen led to the appointment of short-term committees. By 1915, many of these committees such as the Finance Committee and the Negotiating Committee were routinely appointed each year. Other committees had shorter lifespans, or changed name and focus as the needs of the City Council changed.

After the October 1968 election the Public Works standing committee was established, composed of Aldermen Leger (Chair), McCallum, Newman, and Ward (replaced by Alderman Kiniski in 1970). After the election of October, 1971 the committee was renamed the Public Affairs Committee. Between 1971 and 1974 the committee comprised of Aldermen Hayter, McLean, Evans and Tanner, and Commissioner Burrows.

The Public Affairs Committee was active until at least 1990.

Walker, Ella May Jacoby

  • AR-MS-52
  • Pessoa singular
  • 1892-1960

Ella May Jacoby was born in Windom, Minnesota in 1892. She moved with her family to Dundurn SK when she was ten. She studied art at the Chicago Art Institute and attended the Northwestern University School of Music. She met her husband, Osmond James Walker, while the two were students at the University of Saskatchewan. They were married in 1918, lived briefly in Montreal, where her husband earned a Ph.D. in Chemistry at McGill University, and moved to Edmonton in 1920, where he joined the staff of the University of Alberta.
Ella May Walker was an accomplished author, musician, and artist. She wrote a novel entitled 'Fortress North', which dealt with the early history of the Edmonton settlement. She also wrote a regular column for the Edmonton Journal. Ms. Walker was also prominent in the local art, theatrical, and musical communities. She was one of the first members of the City of Edmonton Archives and Landmarks Committee.

Alberta Hotel Association

  • AR-MS-91
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1919-current

The Alberta Hotel Association formed in 1919 and was a member-driven organization that represented the interests of hotels across the province and acted as a common voice to important issues that affected Alberta’s tourism and hospitality industry. In 2001 the association changed its name to the Alberta Hotel & Lodging Association.

American Women's Club of Edmonton

  • AR-MS-99
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1950-unknown

The American Women's Club of Edmonton was founded in January 1950 with Marie Wall as its first President. The early purpose of the club was mainly social but this later broadened to include welfare and social work. At its high point the club had 170 members. In 1975, the club celebrated its 25th anniversary. It is no longer in operation though it is unknown when the organization ceased.

Edmonton Zoological Society

  • AR-MS-104
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1953-1970

The Edmonton Zoological Society was first proposed in 1926 in association with the Borden Park Zoo, which operated in the city until 1941. In 1953 a committee was formed to re-establish the society and noted Edmonton naturalist, Al Oeming, was elected President. The society worked in conjunction with City Council and the Parks Department in the development of the Laurier Park Children's Zoo, which opened in 1959. The Society also appointed members to the Edmonton Zoo Advisory Board, as well as conducting lectures and lobbying on various wildlife issues. The Society was disbanded in 1970.

Resultados 21 a 30 de 790