- Corporate body
The Alberta Aviation Council was founded in 1962 to promote the development of aviation in the province.
The Alberta Aviation Council was founded in 1962 to promote the development of aviation in the province.
Dr. T.C. Buchanan, pastor of McDougall Methodist Church in Edmonton, founded the province's first post-secondary institution in 1903 on Methodist Mission land set aside for missionary and education purposes by Reverend George McDougall. Although originally named McDougall College in honour of this early missionary to the Edmonton area, the founders soon abandoned this designation in favour of Alberta College. The college's first classes assembled on October 5, 1903 in the space above the Johnstone Walker Store on Jasper Avenue. Within two months, the original 67 students, along with four teaching staff, moved to the Masonic Hall to continue their studies in Arts, Commerce and Music under the direction of the school's first principal, Reverend Dr. John H. Riddell. Carrying the unique proviso that there would be no qualification for admission or mandatory religious testing for any student, the Northwest Territory Council granted a charter to Alberta College in October 1904, at which time the school moved into a new building on 101st Street, on the grounds of McDougall Methodist Church. Alberta College grew considerably in its first decade. They housed the growing population of students in new residences; expanded the curriculum with the addition of the departments of Theology, Elocution, and Physical Culture; offered high school matriculation, English as a Second Language, and university transfer programmes; constructed McDougall Hall; and established a south campus on the grounds of the newly founded University of Alberta. Riddell became principal of this new south campus, known as the Theological and Preparatory College, while Reverend Dr. Francis Stacey McCall took over as principal of Alberta College North. For the duration of the First World War, the campuses amalgamated on the north side of the river allowing for the militia to use the south campus as a hospital and convalescent depot. By the time classes resumed in the Theological and Preparatory College in 1920, the school boasted over 1,850 students, 250 of them living in residence. Alberta College needed to expand again. The opening and dedication McCall Hall as part of the north campus in 1926 corresponded with the amalgamation of Alberta College South and Robertson College. This combined Methodist and Presbyterian school became the independent St. Stephen's College of the United Church, and Alberta College North reverted back to Alberta College under the direction of McCall. Student registration held steady until the 1930s when a significant drop in enrollment forced the college to reduce its staff and close McDougall Hall. By the outbreak of the Second World War however, the student body rebounded. Along with its customary post-secondary courses, the school began offering academic night classes and, for a few years, public school classes for grades one through twelve. McCall retired in June, 1947. At the time, Alberta College's programmes included grades nine to thirteen; a School of Commerce; a Conservatory of Music; the Department of Speech Arts; Spanish; night school; and church leadership courses. The newly appointed principal, Reverend Dr. George Harrison Villett, planned for expansion. Construction of the W.T. Henry Hall began in 1949 and, within two years, the college erected a new gymnasium and dining hall. With 2,338 students in 1951, registration reached an all-time high. Growth marked the decade of the 1950s. The school appealed to the public in a three-year, Million Dollar fundraising initiative for the construction of new classrooms, residences, administration offices, and a chapel. In 1959 however, before the completion of this campaign, Villett died suddenly requiring the board to install Reverend Dr. Hart A. Cantelon as principal. He and his staff moved into the new administration building in 1964 and although plans were still in the works for continued expansion, financial problems became evident. Public schools increased competition, tuition fees rose, and government funding fell short of expectations. Cantelon resigned leaving the post open for Reverend Dr. Sidney R. Vincent. Vincent held this post for seven years until 1971, when Dr. Sherbourn McCurdy took over in the new position of president. According to McCurdy, as the school reached its 75th anniversary in 1978, Alberta College arrived to a major crossroads. Enrollment had leveled off when Grant MacEwan Community College opened to the public five years previously, but McCurdy felt that Edmonton still had use for a private college. Six years later, the college appealed to the provincial government for classification as an independent school to improve funding opportunities. Dr. Reginald Pridham replaced McCurdy in 1985 and the college planned for another physical expansion. Phase One of the new project wrapped up in 1993. Workers tore down the old college building in preparation for the second phase. Successful in their appeal for donations to complete the construction, Alberta College opened the doors to its latest renovation the following year. Alberta College's Conservatory of Music was the second largest in Canada by 1995, but budget constraints forced the college administration to make considerable changes to courses and lay off staff. Students and teachers contemplated legal action. Two years later, Brenda Cooke replaced Pridham. She wanted the college to concentrate on its three core departments: music, academic, and commerce. At that point, a change in focus for the college was futile. Forced to transfer operational control to the provincial government in 2000, the Alberta College Board of Governors stated that the school could no longer be financially viable while losing students to the public system. Cooke resigned from her position that year. On July 1, 2002 Grant MacEwan Community College officially integrated Alberta College as a satellite campus. Specializing in music, English as a Second Language, and business courses, the Alberta College Campus retained its separate identity and name while under the guidance of the Grant MacEwan Community College advisory board. Grant MacEwan and the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (N.A.I.T.) absorbed the remaining programmes once offered by Alberta College.
The Alberta Highland Dancing Association was formed in 1937 and has subsequently been responsible for teaching dancers and organizing competitions. The Association endeavors to promote Scottish cultural traditions and identity through these events.
The Alberta Hotel, built in 1903 for Del Grierson, was the first major brick structure on Jasper Avenue. It featured Alberta's first elevator and was the hotel in which Prime Minister Wilfrid Laurier stayed during the inauguration of the province of Alberta in 1905. It later became the property of McDougall & Secord Limited and was sold to Louis Lucas in the late 1940’s. The Lucas family ran the hotel until the 1980s. The hotel was dismantled and put into storage in 1984. It was rebuilt in 2012 on Jasper Avenue, near 97 Street.
The Alberta Hotel Association formed in 1919 and was a member-driven organization that represented the interests of hotels across the province and acted as a common voice to important issues that affected Alberta’s tourism and hospitality industry. In 2001 the association changed its name to the Alberta Hotel & Lodging Association.
The Alberta Native Communication Society (ANCS) was formed originally in 1966 as the Cree Radio Program of Northern Alberta and was incorporated as a non-profit society in 1968.
The Society’s mandate was to produce and provide communications of all media from an Indigenous perspective to the Indigenous Peoples of Alberta. Their activities included print, radio, tv and film. Its audio-visual production activities made the ANCS the equivalent of an educational broadcaster similar to ACCESS or TVO. The society went bankrupt in 1983 after its funding was withdrawn and its video/film assets were sold to the Aboriginal Multi-Media Society (AMMSA).
The Alberta Pensioners' Society was incorporated in Edmonton in 1940. The main purpose of the organization was to fight for better access to improved Old Age Security benefits and the development of a national universal system of pensions in Canada. The society conducted monthly meetings and lobbied different levels of government on a variety of issues concerning senior citizens. The Society is no longer listed in the Alberta Non-Profit Listing of registered societies.
The Edmonton Section of the Alpine Club of Canada was organized in 1906, the same year as the Alpine Club itself. It was an active section for many years, contributing numerous participants in the club's annual mountaineering camps and participants in the club's executive and organizing committees, including Cyril Geoffrey Wates, President, 1938-1941. Locally, the section constructed a hut in the Quesnell Ravine, which provided a focus for weekend hikes, ski outings, and other activities in the off-season.
The American Women's Club of Edmonton was founded in January 1950 with Marie Wall as its first President. The early purpose of the club was mainly social but this later broadened to include welfare and social work. At its high point the club had 170 members. In 1975, the club celebrated its 25th anniversary. It is no longer in operation though it is unknown when the organization ceased.
The records in this series relate primarily to the functions of the Analytical Services, Computer Systems, Computer Operations branches.
The Analytical Services Branch, under Director Trevor Peach, was originally intended to provide the City with a staff of competent Work Study Technicians through a period of training and then reassignment to their departments. The concept developed to that of a permanent staff of qualified management Analysts with the capability for a broader approach to problem solving with the realization that Work Study was just one part of the problem solving approach. Their concept of service expanded to include work systems design and special assistance in office systems, forms design, organization, economic feasibility, financial studies and the provision of resource people for expediting the work of committees, and task forces.
The Computer Systems Branch, under Director George Mueske, was established to develop the various uses which could be made of a computer. It provided services that varied from providing courses in project control and critical path to actual systems design programming and implementation for specific projects. The branch had no authority to initiate new applications or to revise ones currently in use without the expressed wish of the department concerned.
The Computer Operations Branch, under Director Joe Davis, was responsible for data input, data control and twenty-four hour a day operation of the computer and auxiliary equipment.