Mostrar 822 resultados

Registo de autoridade

City of Edmonton. Engineer's Department

  • AR-RG-50
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1904 - 1971

The Engineer's Department was established in 1904 by Bylaw 266 (To provide for the appointment of a Town Engineer and to define his duties). As laid out in this Bylaw, the duties of the Town Engineer included streets and their improvement and repair, sidewalks and their construction and repair, sewerage, electric light and power, the City Market, nuisance grounds (dumps) and the disposal of refuse, and the purchase of material for municipal purposes. This was a very large responsibility for one office, and over the next few years many of these functions were moved elsewhere.

In 1906 the Fire Department went from a volunteer system to a paid system, and soon thereafter it became independent of the Engineer's Department.

In 1912 a Parks Department was established, and responsibility for parks was removed from the Town Engineer, but due to a poor economy, by 1913 the Parks Department had folded and the duties were reabsorbed by the Engineer. The City Engineer oversaw parks, which included the City Market, until the Parks Department was re-established in 1947.

By 1914 the utilities (the power house, the water works, sewerage, and electric light and power) had become separate entities and were no longer the responsibility of the City Engineer.

In 1949 the Engineer's Department began operation of a gravel pit south of Mayfair Golf Course (on land later known as Mayfair Park/Hawrelak Park).

Around 1951 the department was renamed the Engineering Department. In 1952 the activities of the Engineering Department included: design, construction and maintenance of bridges, roads, lanes, sidewalks and sewage systems; scavenging and garbage disposal; traffic engineering; the maintenance of mechanical equipment; street cleaning and snow removal; maintaining a complete accounting system (excluding payroll), including capital and operating budges and cost control; making recommendations on labour issues; collaborating with City departments concerning utility matters; and related administrative duties.

In 1953 the department began setting up district yards to disperse equipment around the city and reduce travelling time. A committee of utility and construction superintendents was also set up to coordinate work on jobs.

Formerly an independent department, between 1961 and 1966 Waterworks was operated as a section within the Engineering Department.

The department had intermittent responsibility for airports. Prior to World War II the City Engineer was responsible for the Municipal Airport and Cooking Lake Air Base. From 1964 to 1965 there was an Industrial Airport division, which likely provided support to the Municipal Airport.

In 1971 the Engineering Department was dissolved when it merged with the Edmonton Transit System.

McIntyre, Art

  • AR-MS-203
  • Pessoa singular
  • [19--?] - 1971

Arthur Waites McIntyre was born in Middleton, Ontario. He came to Edmonton in 1914 and studied at Strathcona Collegiate Institute and the University of Alberta, graduating with an arts degree. After serving in the Canadian Officers' Corps he worked for the Camrose Canadian newspaper and then joined the Edmonton Bulletin. He rose from reporter to become day editor of the morning edition before joining the Edmonton Journal in 1926. Here he served as a reporter, provincial editor, marketing editor, and librarian. Mr. McIntyre died in 1971.

Thompson, Jean and Hector

  • AR-MS-206
  • Família
  • n.d.

Hector Thompson, and his sister-in-law, Jean Thompson lived in Millet, Alberta. The Thompson's were prominent members of the United Farmers of Alberta movement.

Fry, John W.

  • AR-MS-208
  • Pessoa singular
  • 1876 - 1946

John Fry was born in Woodstock, Ontario in 1876. He worked as a school teacher and homesteaded in Saskatchewan before moving to Edmonton in 1911, where he entered the contracting and real estate business. He was elected alderman in 1932, a position he held for five years. In 1937 he was elected Mayor of Edmonton. He was re-elected each of the next eight years before retiring in 1945 due to ill health. John Fry was married with five children, one of whom, Gladys Fry, was a member of the Edmonton Grads basketball team. He died in 1946.

Edmonton Board of Public Welfare

  • AR-MS-213
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1914 - n.d.

The Committee on Unemployment was appointed by the president of the Edmonton Board of Trade on August 18, 1914. Within a month this committee became the Edmonton Board of Public Welfare. Its main purpose was to give financial aid to deserving residents of Edmonton. The Visiting Committee, later known as the Advisory Committee, based its recommendations for aid on need, morality, and the ability of the applicants to find work. Most funding was obtained through government grants (Mothers' Pensions and Later Mothers' Allowances) but occasional fund-raising drives were held by the board.

International Women's Year 1975, Edmonton Coordinating Committee

  • AR-MS-216
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • n.d.

The United Nations proclaimed the year 1975 to be the International Women's Year. In response to this, an Edmonton coordinating committee was formed, whereby local women's groups could get together to exchange ideas and work on related projects. City Council set up a steering committee to work with this group to select women volunteers working in the community who were worthy of recognition. Different categories were established and nominees were selected to receive awards from the City of Edmonton. The coordinating committee also supervised the preparation and publication of the Edmonton International Women's Year Anthology. This work recognized the achievements of many women throughout Edmonton's communities.

Edmonton Street Railway Athletic Association

  • AR-MS-220
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1921 - n.d.

A Street Railway Athletic Association was formed in 1921 and a baseball and soccer team were soon operating. There was also a hockey team in the 1920s. However, by 1930, all activities had dropped ceased and the Association folded. It was resurrected in 1945 and began to sponsor hockey, softball, and fastball teams.

Carmichael, Beatrice

  • AR-MS-223
  • Pessoa singular
  • 1889 - 1964

Beatrice Carmichael was one of Edmonton's leading musical directors and promoters for over 30 years. Born Beatrice Van Loon in 1889 at Southbend, Indiana, she made her first soprano debut at the age of four. At the age of sixteen, she conducted her first orchestra and then obtained her bachelor of music degree from the University of Chicago. In 1919, she came to Edmonton for an engagement at the Mcdonald Hotel where she met her future husband. Settling in Edmonton she worked with the Women's Musical Club, gave violin lessons, and played with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra. In 1935 she founded the Edmonton Civic Opera Society and she was its only musical director for almost 30 years. Beatrice Carmichael died in 1964, having made an outstanding contribution to music in Edmonton.

McAfee, Hilda

  • AR-MS-226
  • Pessoa singular
  • n.d. - 1960

Hilda McAfee was one of Edmonton's foremost flower specialists. Her city garden regularly won awards. Known as the "Rose Queen of Alberta", she was made a Fellow of the Royal Horticultural Society and was internationally recognized for her expertise. Mrs. McAfee died in 1960.

Bell, Gordon Cecil Douglas

  • AR-MS-228
  • Pessoa singular
  • [19--?] - n.d.

Gordon Cecil Douglas Bell was a Pilot Officer in the Royal Canadian Air Force during World War II. He received a Distinguished Flying Medal for an action on May 17, 1942, piloting a Blenheim light bomber in an attack on the German heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen. He was commissioned a Pilot Officer, September 30, 1942, effective May 1, 1942.

Resultados 11 a 20 de 822