Showing 174 results

Authority record
Corporate body

1994 Commonwealth Games Bid Committee

  • AR-RG-7-S-3
  • Corporate body
  • [ca. 1986]-1987

The Commonwealth Games are an international athletic competition among British Commonwealth countries. In late 1986 the Commonwealth Games Association of Canada invited Edmonton to bid on the 1994 Games, and the 1994 Commonwealth Games Bid Committee was established. The Committee was likely a function of the City's Corporate Communications office. The Committee was responsible for preparing a bid to be the host City for the games. The bid was presented in November 1987, but ultimately Victoria, British Columbia was selected as the host city.

19th Alberta Dragoons

  • AR-MS-746
  • Corporate body
  • 1908-2006

The 19th Alberta Dragoons were organized in Edmonton on 1 Feb 1908, originally as the 19th Alberta Mounted Rifles. It was renamed as the 19th Alberta Dragoons on 3 Jan 1911. The Dragoons saw service in World War I with the 1st Division, Canadian Corps. It was not deployed overseas in World War II.

In 1946 it was amalgamated with the 2nd (Reserve) Battalion, the Edmonton Fusiliers. It was redesignated as the 19th Alberta Dragoons in 1958. But by 1965, it was reduced to nil strength and placed on the supplementary order of battle. In 2006, the 19th Alberta Dragoons were amalgamated with the South Alberta Light Horse and retained that designation.

AIDS Network/HIV Edmonton

  • AR-MS-595-S-3
  • Corporate body
  • 1984-current

The AIDS Network of Edmonton Society, founded by Michael Phair and five others, was incorporated as a non-profit society in 1984. The Society was formed to respond to the growing number of AIDS related diseases being diagnosed amongst the gay community world-wide and the first identified case of AIDS (for a man named Ross Armstrong) in Edmonton. The Society’s mandate was to offer support to individuals with AIDS and ARC (Aids Related Complex), as well as provide education for the general public and high risk groups, and liaise with other agencies and institutions. The Network utilized the services of a large corps of trained volunteers, who were involved with support groups, individual counselling, and a befriending program.
A large part of the Society’s efforts, once charitable status was granted, involved fundraising, and numerous benefits and charity events centered on the goal of raising monies for the Society and its work. Money from fundraising went to producing informational pamphlets and overheads for slides, and acquiring office space for the AIDS Network. The AIDS Network established GMOC (Gay Men’s Outreach Committee) ca. 1991 as a peer education project for gay and bisexual men, with the stated goal of being “positive role models for gay or bisexual men and to support them in making healthy lifestyle choices”. (Folder 23). In 1999, the AIDS Network of Edmonton changed its name to HIV Edmonton, and its work is ongoing.

APEGGA Women's Club

  • AR-MS-125
  • Corporate body
  • 1949-2009

The APEGGA [Alberta Professional Engineers, Geologists and Geophysicists Association] Women's Club, also known as the Ladies Auxilliary E.I.C [Engineers' Institute of Canada], Engineers' Wives Association of Edmonton, Engineers' Wives Club, E.IC. and A.P.E.A. [Alberta Professional Engineers' Association], Engineers' Wives Club and Professional Engineers Wives' Club during its existence, was organized in September 1949. It was a social group, designed to acquaint wives of Edmonton engineers with each other. It organized social activities, interest groups and special events. It was renamed the APEGGA Women's Club in 1993 and was disbanded in 2009 at its 60th anniversary.

Alberta 75th Municipal Anniversary Committee

  • AR-RG-7-S-8
  • Corporate body
  • 1979-1980

In 1979 the Province of Alberta established the Alberta 75th Anniversary Commission to plan and develop Alberta's 75th Birthday. Subsequently, all Alberta municipalities received $20 per capita, with Edmonton accepting $9,827,180. Edmonton's City Council established a Municipal Anniversary Committee to serve as a coordinating organization to evaluate public proposals and ideas. The Municipal Anniversary Committee was responsible to City Council. The Committee included three sub-committees: Flagship Projects, Community Projects, and Liaison.

Alberta All Girls Drum & Bugle Band

  • AR-MS-92
  • Corporate body
  • 1970-[198?]

The Alberta All Girls Drum & Bugle band was formed in 1970, under the direction of Robert Nagel. In 1972 the band performed at the Olympic Games in Munich, and assisted in Edmonton's bid to host the 1978 Commonwealth Games. Quickly gaining an international reputation the band performed in Ireland and Scotland in 1973 and were featured entertainers at the 1974 World Cup Soccer Championship in Munich, Germany. The Alberta All Girls Bugle & Drum Band was disbanded in the 1980s.

Alberta Association of Registered Nursing Orderlies

  • AR-MS-87
  • Corporate body
  • 1962-current

The Alberta Association of Registered Nursing Orderlies received its charter in January 1962. Its aim has been to increase and promote the knowledge, skill, and proficiency of nursing orderlies in Alberta. The association is now part of the Alberta Association of Registered Nursing Assistants (AARNA).

Alberta Aviation Council

  • AR-MS-85
  • Corporate body
  • 1962-current

The Alberta Aviation Council was founded in 1962 to promote the development of aviation in the province.

Alberta College

  • AR-MS-254
  • Corporate body
  • 1903 - 2002

Dr. T.C. Buchanan, pastor of McDougall Methodist Church in Edmonton, founded the province's first post-secondary institution in 1903 on Methodist Mission land set aside for missionary and education purposes by Reverend George McDougall. Although originally named McDougall College in honour of this early missionary to the Edmonton area, the founders soon abandoned this designation in favour of Alberta College. The college's first classes assembled on October 5, 1903 in the space above the Johnstone Walker Store on Jasper Avenue. Within two months, the original 67 students, along with four teaching staff, moved to the Masonic Hall to continue their studies in Arts, Commerce and Music under the direction of the school's first principal, Reverend Dr. John H. Riddell. Carrying the unique proviso that there would be no qualification for admission or mandatory religious testing for any student, the Northwest Territory Council granted a charter to Alberta College in October 1904, at which time the school moved into a new building on 101st Street, on the grounds of McDougall Methodist Church. Alberta College grew considerably in its first decade. They housed the growing population of students in new residences; expanded the curriculum with the addition of the departments of Theology, Elocution, and Physical Culture; offered high school matriculation, English as a Second Language, and university transfer programmes; constructed McDougall Hall; and established a south campus on the grounds of the newly founded University of Alberta. Riddell became principal of this new south campus, known as the Theological and Preparatory College, while Reverend Dr. Francis Stacey McCall took over as principal of Alberta College North. For the duration of the First World War, the campuses amalgamated on the north side of the river allowing for the militia to use the south campus as a hospital and convalescent depot. By the time classes resumed in the Theological and Preparatory College in 1920, the school boasted over 1,850 students, 250 of them living in residence. Alberta College needed to expand again. The opening and dedication McCall Hall as part of the north campus in 1926 corresponded with the amalgamation of Alberta College South and Robertson College. This combined Methodist and Presbyterian school became the independent St. Stephen's College of the United Church, and Alberta College North reverted back to Alberta College under the direction of McCall. Student registration held steady until the 1930s when a significant drop in enrollment forced the college to reduce its staff and close McDougall Hall. By the outbreak of the Second World War however, the student body rebounded. Along with its customary post-secondary courses, the school began offering academic night classes and, for a few years, public school classes for grades one through twelve. McCall retired in June, 1947. At the time, Alberta College's programmes included grades nine to thirteen; a School of Commerce; a Conservatory of Music; the Department of Speech Arts; Spanish; night school; and church leadership courses. The newly appointed principal, Reverend Dr. George Harrison Villett, planned for expansion. Construction of the W.T. Henry Hall began in 1949 and, within two years, the college erected a new gymnasium and dining hall. With 2,338 students in 1951, registration reached an all-time high. Growth marked the decade of the 1950s. The school appealed to the public in a three-year, Million Dollar fundraising initiative for the construction of new classrooms, residences, administration offices, and a chapel. In 1959 however, before the completion of this campaign, Villett died suddenly requiring the board to install Reverend Dr. Hart A. Cantelon as principal. He and his staff moved into the new administration building in 1964 and although plans were still in the works for continued expansion, financial problems became evident. Public schools increased competition, tuition fees rose, and government funding fell short of expectations. Cantelon resigned leaving the post open for Reverend Dr. Sidney R. Vincent. Vincent held this post for seven years until 1971, when Dr. Sherbourn McCurdy took over in the new position of president. According to McCurdy, as the school reached its 75th anniversary in 1978, Alberta College arrived to a major crossroads. Enrollment had leveled off when Grant MacEwan Community College opened to the public five years previously, but McCurdy felt that Edmonton still had use for a private college. Six years later, the college appealed to the provincial government for classification as an independent school to improve funding opportunities. Dr. Reginald Pridham replaced McCurdy in 1985 and the college planned for another physical expansion. Phase One of the new project wrapped up in 1993. Workers tore down the old college building in preparation for the second phase. Successful in their appeal for donations to complete the construction, Alberta College opened the doors to its latest renovation the following year. Alberta College's Conservatory of Music was the second largest in Canada by 1995, but budget constraints forced the college administration to make considerable changes to courses and lay off staff. Students and teachers contemplated legal action. Two years later, Brenda Cooke replaced Pridham. She wanted the college to concentrate on its three core departments: music, academic, and commerce. At that point, a change in focus for the college was futile. Forced to transfer operational control to the provincial government in 2000, the Alberta College Board of Governors stated that the school could no longer be financially viable while losing students to the public system. Cooke resigned from her position that year. On July 1, 2002 Grant MacEwan Community College officially integrated Alberta College as a satellite campus. Specializing in music, English as a Second Language, and business courses, the Alberta College Campus retained its separate identity and name while under the guidance of the Grant MacEwan Community College advisory board. Grant MacEwan and the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (N.A.I.T.) absorbed the remaining programmes once offered by Alberta College.

Alberta Highland Dancing Association, Edmonton Branch

  • AR-MS-78
  • Corporate body
  • 1937 - current

The Alberta Highland Dancing Association was formed in 1937 and has subsequently been responsible for teaching dancers and organizing competitions. The Association endeavors to promote Scottish cultural traditions and identity through these events.

Results 1 to 10 of 174