Mostrar 306 resultados

Registo de autoridade
Pessoa coletiva

Veterans' Volunteers' Reserve, South Edmonton Battalion Association

  • AR-MS-55
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1940 - current

The Veterans' Volunteer Reserve, South Edmonton Battalion was formed on July 26, 1940, shortly after the creation of the VVR by the Alberta government on June 19. Its members formed an auxiliary constabulary, primarily for surveillance and control of enemy alien activities in the city. After the end of the war the organization held annual reunions until 1956. When it disbanded, it donated its remaining funds to the Edmonton Home for Ex-servicemen's Children.

Organisation Mondiale pour l'Education Prescholaire (OMEP) Edmonton

  • AR-MS-65
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1948 - 1994, 2002 - current

Known as OMEP from the initials of the French name, Organisation Mondiale pour l'Education Prescholaire, this international group was created in 1948 to assemble people who are connected by their work with or interest in children up to eight or nine years of age. It works for the promotion of research about young children, the dissemination of knowledge about them and the amelioration of any unsatisfactory or harmful condition affecting them. The Edmonton branch of OMEP, affiliated through the Canadian Committee on Early Childhood, Inc. (OMEP Canada), was organized in 1969. The branch was disbanded in 1994, then revived in 2002. It current status is uncertain.

Old Strathcona Foundation

  • AR-MS-113
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1972 - current

The Old Strathcona Foundation (OSF) was founded in 1972 in response to citizens' concerns about the future of the Old Strathcona area of south Edmonton. A 1976 agreement between the Foundation, the City of Edmonton, and Heritage Canada paved the way for a successful program of heritage preservation and renewal in the area.

Edmonton Hotel

  • AR-MS-191
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1876 - 1925

The Edmonton Hotel began in 1876 when Donald Ross turned the second floor of his homestead into a dormitory and started serving meals. Three expansions took place over the next 25 years. The hotel played an important part in Edmonton's early life, acting as a meeting place as well as a hostelry. The hotel was managed by Joseph Hostyn from about 1908 to 1915. The wooden hotel building burnt down in 1928.

City of Edmonton. Engineer's Department

  • AR-RG-50
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1904 - 1971

The Engineer's Department was established in 1904 by Bylaw 266 (To provide for the appointment of a Town Engineer and to define his duties). As laid out in this Bylaw, the duties of the Town Engineer included streets and their improvement and repair, sidewalks and their construction and repair, sewerage, electric light and power, the City Market, nuisance grounds (dumps) and the disposal of refuse, and the purchase of material for municipal purposes. This was a very large responsibility for one office, and over the next few years many of these functions were moved elsewhere.

In 1906 the Fire Department went from a volunteer system to a paid system, and soon thereafter it became independent of the Engineer's Department.

In 1912 a Parks Department was established, and responsibility for parks was removed from the Town Engineer, but due to a poor economy, by 1913 the Parks Department had folded and the duties were reabsorbed by the Engineer. The City Engineer oversaw parks, which included the City Market, until the Parks Department was re-established in 1947.

By 1914 the utilities (the power house, the water works, sewerage, and electric light and power) had become separate entities and were no longer the responsibility of the City Engineer.

In 1949 the Engineer's Department began operation of a gravel pit south of Mayfair Golf Course (on land later known as Mayfair Park/Hawrelak Park).

Around 1951 the department was renamed the Engineering Department. In 1952 the activities of the Engineering Department included: design, construction and maintenance of bridges, roads, lanes, sidewalks and sewage systems; scavenging and garbage disposal; traffic engineering; the maintenance of mechanical equipment; street cleaning and snow removal; maintaining a complete accounting system (excluding payroll), including capital and operating budges and cost control; making recommendations on labour issues; collaborating with City departments concerning utility matters; and related administrative duties.

In 1953 the department began setting up district yards to disperse equipment around the city and reduce travelling time. A committee of utility and construction superintendents was also set up to coordinate work on jobs.

Formerly an independent department, between 1961 and 1966 Waterworks was operated as a section within the Engineering Department.

The department had intermittent responsibility for airports. Prior to World War II the City Engineer was responsible for the Municipal Airport and Cooking Lake Air Base. From 1964 to 1965 there was an Industrial Airport division, which likely provided support to the Municipal Airport.

In 1971 the Engineering Department was dissolved when it merged with the Edmonton Transit System.

Edmonton Board of Public Welfare

  • AR-MS-213
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1914 - n.d.

The Committee on Unemployment was appointed by the president of the Edmonton Board of Trade on August 18, 1914. Within a month this committee became the Edmonton Board of Public Welfare. Its main purpose was to give financial aid to deserving residents of Edmonton. The Visiting Committee, later known as the Advisory Committee, based its recommendations for aid on need, morality, and the ability of the applicants to find work. Most funding was obtained through government grants (Mothers' Pensions and Later Mothers' Allowances) but occasional fund-raising drives were held by the board.

International Women's Year 1975, Edmonton Coordinating Committee

  • AR-MS-216
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • n.d.

The United Nations proclaimed the year 1975 to be the International Women's Year. In response to this, an Edmonton coordinating committee was formed, whereby local women's groups could get together to exchange ideas and work on related projects. City Council set up a steering committee to work with this group to select women volunteers working in the community who were worthy of recognition. Different categories were established and nominees were selected to receive awards from the City of Edmonton. The coordinating committee also supervised the preparation and publication of the Edmonton International Women's Year Anthology. This work recognized the achievements of many women throughout Edmonton's communities.

Edmonton Street Railway Athletic Association

  • AR-MS-220
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1921 - n.d.

A Street Railway Athletic Association was formed in 1921 and a baseball and soccer team were soon operating. There was also a hockey team in the 1920s. However, by 1930, all activities had dropped ceased and the Association folded. It was resurrected in 1945 and began to sponsor hockey, softball, and fastball teams.

Edmonton and District Cricket League

  • AR-MS-326
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1912 -

The Edmonton Cricket League, established in 1912, became the Edmonton and District Cricket League (E.D.C.L.) in 1976. The League is comprised of member clubs which are further comprised of individual playing members. The E.D.C.L. is governed by the Alberta Cricket Association, which in turn reports to the Canadian Cricket Association. The E.D.C.L.'s size has varied little over the years, having eight clubs in 1933 and nine clubs registered in 1992. However, the number of players registered in each club has risen dramatically in that time. A wide variety of teams from North America, England, and Australia have competed against E.D.C.L. teams as cricket's popularity continues to grow.

MacDonald and Magoon Architects

  • AR-MS-328
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1911 - 1941

Herbert Alton Magoon was born in Warwick, Quebec, in 1863. After studying architecture in Chicago he practiced in Iowa and Sydney, Nova Scotia before establishing a business in Edmonton in 1904. He was soon involved in the design of some of Edmonton's most prominent buildings. George Heath MacDonald was born in Prince Edward Island in 1883. At the age of 16 he left home and became a draftsman under the tutelage of Mr. Magoon. He completed his education at McGill University in 1911 and soon after became a partner in the architectural firm of Magoon and MacDonald. Together Magoon and MacDonald were responsible for the design of some of the city's outstanding buildings, including Concordia College, St. Stephen's College, the Tegler Building, the YMCA Building, the YWCA Building, the Federal Building, and many prominent residences. During World War II, the firm designed many of the new buildings associated with the municipal airport. Herbert Magoon died in 1941 and George Heath MacDonald carried on alone. Mr. MacDonald passed away in 1961.

Resultados 1 a 10 de 306