Mostrar 297 resultados

Registo de autoridade
Pessoa coletiva

Old Strathcona Foundation

  • AR-MS-113
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1972 - current

The Old Strathcona Foundation (OSF) was founded in 1972 in response to citizens' concerns about the future of the Old Strathcona area of south Edmonton. A 1976 agreement between the Foundation, the City of Edmonton, and Heritage Canada paved the way for a successful program of heritage preservation and renewal in the area.

Edmonton Hotel

  • AR-MS-191
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1876 - 1925

The Edmonton Hotel began in 1876 when Donald Ross turned the second floor of his homestead into a dormitory and started serving meals. Three expansions took place over the next 25 years. The hotel played an important part in Edmonton's early life, acting as a meeting place as well as a hostelry. The hotel was managed by Joseph Hostyn from about 1908 to 1915. The wooden hotel building burnt down in 1928.

City of Edmonton. Engineer's Department

  • AR-RG-50
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1904 - 1971

The Engineer's Department was established in 1904 by Bylaw 266 (To provide for the appointment of a Town Engineer and to define his duties). As laid out in this Bylaw, the duties of the Town Engineer included streets and their improvement and repair, sidewalks and their construction and repair, sewerage, electric light and power, the City Market, nuisance grounds (dumps) and the disposal of refuse, and the purchase of material for municipal purposes. This was a very large responsibility for one office, and over the next few years many of these functions were moved elsewhere.

In 1906 the Fire Department went from a volunteer system to a paid system, and soon thereafter it became independent of the Engineer's Department.

In 1912 a Parks Department was established, and responsibility for parks was removed from the Town Engineer, but due to a poor economy, by 1913 the Parks Department had folded and the duties were reabsorbed by the Engineer. The City Engineer oversaw parks, which included the City Market, until the Parks Department was re-established in 1947.

By 1914 the utilities (the power house, the water works, sewerage, and electric light and power) had become separate entities and were no longer the responsibility of the City Engineer.

In 1949 the Engineer's Department began operation of a gravel pit south of Mayfair Golf Course (on land later known as Mayfair Park/Hawrelak Park).

Around 1951 the department was renamed the Engineering Department. In 1952 the activities of the Engineering Department included: design, construction and maintenance of bridges, roads, lanes, sidewalks and sewage systems; scavenging and garbage disposal; traffic engineering; the maintenance of mechanical equipment; street cleaning and snow removal; maintaining a complete accounting system (excluding payroll), including capital and operating budges and cost control; making recommendations on labour issues; collaborating with City departments concerning utility matters; and related administrative duties.

In 1953 the department began setting up district yards to disperse equipment around the city and reduce travelling time. A committee of utility and construction superintendents was also set up to coordinate work on jobs.

Formerly an independent department, between 1961 and 1966 Waterworks was operated as a section within the Engineering Department.

The department had intermittent responsibility for airports. Prior to World War II the City Engineer was responsible for the Municipal Airport and Cooking Lake Air Base. From 1964 to 1965 there was an Industrial Airport division, which likely provided support to the Municipal Airport.

In 1971 the Engineering Department was dissolved when it merged with the Edmonton Transit System.

Edmonton Board of Public Welfare

  • AR-MS-213
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1914 - n.d.

The Committee on Unemployment was appointed by the president of the Edmonton Board of Trade on August 18, 1914. Within a month this committee became the Edmonton Board of Public Welfare. Its main purpose was to give financial aid to deserving residents of Edmonton. The Visiting Committee, later known as the Advisory Committee, based its recommendations for aid on need, morality, and the ability of the applicants to find work. Most funding was obtained through government grants (Mothers' Pensions and Later Mothers' Allowances) but occasional fund-raising drives were held by the board.

International Women's Year 1975, Edmonton Coordinating Committee

  • AR-MS-216
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • n.d.

The United Nations proclaimed the year 1975 to be the International Women's Year. In response to this, an Edmonton coordinating committee was formed, whereby local women's groups could get together to exchange ideas and work on related projects. City Council set up a steering committee to work with this group to select women volunteers working in the community who were worthy of recognition. Different categories were established and nominees were selected to receive awards from the City of Edmonton. The coordinating committee also supervised the preparation and publication of the Edmonton International Women's Year Anthology. This work recognized the achievements of many women throughout Edmonton's communities.

Edmonton Street Railway Athletic Association

  • AR-MS-220
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1921 - n.d.

A Street Railway Athletic Association was formed in 1921 and a baseball and soccer team were soon operating. There was also a hockey team in the 1920s. However, by 1930, all activities had dropped ceased and the Association folded. It was resurrected in 1945 and began to sponsor hockey, softball, and fastball teams.

City of Edmonton. Edmonton Municipal Airport

  • AR-RG-2
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1926-1971

On June 16, 1926 Edmonton's airport become the first licensed municipal airport in Canada. Upon its establishment the airport was the responsibility of the Engineer's Department. A short-lived and ill-fated experiment occurred in 1927 when the City leased the land to farmer Mary Watt, who was expected to clear the brush, graze animals and raise hay on the land while maintaining it as an air field. When this project failed the Engineering Department retook control of the airfield.

In 1929 the newly incorporated Edmonton and Northern Alberta Aero Club was given responsibility for the airport. A Council Report that year recommended that since the airport was owned by the City a municipal official should be placed in charge. As a result, the Finance Committee appointed James "Jimmy" Bell airport manager on February 5, 1930. A former WWI bomber pilot and active member of the Aero Club, Bell would be a fixture at the airport until his retirement in 1962. For the first few years Bell was responsible for maintaining the hangar and field, while the Aero Club continued the field operations. Airport construction was done by staff of the Engineer's Department.

In 1940, as a result of the airfield's important role in the war effort, the Federal Government took over operations of the Edmonton Municipal Airport. This lasted until November 1, 1946, at which point control of the airport was transferred back to the Engineer's Department.

In 1947 James Bell became Superintendent of the Airport, presumably making the airport a separate department. This is confirmed by the functional organizational charts of the 1950s and 1960s. During the 1950s and 1960s the airport superintendent supervised all construction, maintenance and operational activity associated with the airport. He supervised a staff of around twenty, which included clerks, maintenance workers, fieldmen, watchmen, electricians, and janitors.

In 1965 the Edmonton Municipal Airport returned to the control of the Engineer's Department for budgetary reasons, however this was short-lived, and on December 29, 1967 the airport became independent once more when a Bylaw to regulate the operation of the Edmonton Industrial Airport (No. 3092) was passed.

In 1971, as part of a departmental reorganization, the responsibility for the airport was given to the newly formed Engineering and Transportation Department.

On April 1, 1996 the Edmonton Municipal Airport was transferred to the Edmonton Regional Airports Authority under a 56 year lease.

RCMP Centennial Committee

  • AR-RG-7-S-6
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1973-1974

The City's RCMP Centennial Committee was established in February, 1973. The Committee was composed of members of Civic administration, the RCMP, and members of the community. They worked separately from the Provincial RCMP Centennial Committee.

The City's RCMP Centennial Committee was responsible for planning commemorative celebrations of the 100th anniversary of the formation of the Northwest Mounted Police (later the Royal Canadian Mounted Police) in 1873, and the 100th anniversary of their arrival in what is now Alberta in 1874.

1994 Commonwealth Games Bid Committee

  • AR-RG-7-S-3
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • [ca. 1986]-1987

The Commonwealth Games are an international athletic competition among British Commonwealth countries. In late 1986 the Commonwealth Games Association of Canada invited Edmonton to bid on the 1994 Games, and the 1994 Commonwealth Games Bid Committee was established. The Committee was likely a function of the City's Corporate Communications office. The Committee was responsible for preparing a bid to be the host City for the games. The bid was presented in November 1987, but ultimately Victoria, British Columbia was selected as the host city.

Civic Centennial Committee

  • AR-RG-7-S-4
  • Pessoa coletiva
  • 1963-1967

In January of 1962, Edmonton's Finance Committee recommended to City Council that a Centennial Committee be established to look into restoring Fort Edmonton for the Centennial. From this request grew the Edmonton Civic Centennial Council, an arms-length organization dedicated to coordinating Centennial activities in Edmonton.

The Civic Centennial Council, later called the Civic Centennial Committee, was responsible for planning Centennial festivities on behalf of the City. They provided information, promoted and coordinated activities, and made recommendations to the City on Centennial-related issues.

The Committee was managed by an executive directorate of representatives from civic government, business and industry, citizen organizations, and voluntary community groups. They reported to the City Commissioners.

Resultados 1 a 10 de 297