Fonds MS-1071 - Edmonton Bulletin fonds

Baseball game between Buffaloes and Cubs at Renfrew Park: (L-R) Dann (Buffaloes centre-fielder), ... Football resolution to bring Grey Cup to Edmonton. Curling winners. To receive at the Navy Ball for New Year's - Mrs. L. Hoar. New Year's wishes at annual levee in Legislature Building. New Year's wishes at annual levee in Legislature Building. Baseball game between Buffaloes and Cubs at Renfrew Park: (L-R) Dann (Buffaloes centre-fielder), ... Fireman jumping into net. Bonnie Doon Skating Rink opening. Circulation drive: fist holding money.
Results 1 to 10 of 11890 Show all

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Edmonton Bulletin fonds

General material designation

  • Graphic material - photograph

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA EDM MS-1071

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1911, 1947-1951 (Creation)
    Creator
    Edmonton Bulletin

Physical description area

Physical description

13,176 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1880-1951)

Administrative history

The ‘Edmonton Bulletin’ was the first newspaper published in Alberta. It originally appeared as ‘The Bulletin’ on December 6, 1880, and its owners were Alexander Taylor and Frank Oliver. It first appeared as a weekly but changed to twice weekly in May 1892. The name was changed to ‘Edmonton Bulletin’ in 1881.
Alexander Dunlop took over from Taylor that same year, and Frank Oliver became sole owner in 1884. Oliver's company, Bulletin Publishing Co., was publisher from 1898 to 1923. An evening daily was published as the "Daily Edmonton Bulletin" from January 3, 1903 to January 16, 1906, and as the "Edmonton Daily Bulletin" from January 17, 1906 to January 30, 1923. A morning daily was published as the "Edmonton Daily Bulletin" from May 2, 1910 to November 8, 1915, and the "Morning Bulletin" from November 9, 1913 to January 28, 1924.
Oliver sold his interest in the Bulletin Publishing Company and the company was reorganized under George B. O'Connor as the Edmonton Bulletin Ltd. on January 1924. The name was changed to Edmonton Publishing Ltd. in December 1924. The "Edmonton Bulletin" was published as a morning and evening daily from January 29, 1924 to June 19, 1925. After suspension of printing due to a labour dispute which ended December 3, 1925, the paper became an evening paper only.
In October 1925 it was sold to Charles E. Campbell and published by Alberta Free Press Ltd. In January 1948 it was sold to the Edmonton Bulletin Ltd., directed by G. Max Bell and published and edited by Hal Straight. Eric Bland was hired as staff photographer ca. 1947. Previously the paper's photographs had been taken by commercial photographers. The paper ceased publication on January 20, 1951.

Custodial history

This fonds was originally a gift of Bulletin Printers Ltd. and Max Bell to the Glenbow Archives in 1956. In 1996, the City of Edmonton Archives traded three fonds with the Glenbow to receive the Bulletin fonds.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of photos taken by Eric Bland for the Edmonton Bulletin in the last five years of the Bulletin’s existence (April 1947-January 1951) (EA-600). The photos include Edmonton personalities, accidents, events, clubs and societies, buildings (including churches, schools and hospitals), commerce, industry, transportation and military.
The fonds also includes images used in the publication 'Edmonton Bulletin Special Edition 1911' (EB-26). This publication gave a history of Edmonton to that point. The photographs include people, houses, buildings businesses, street scenes, bridges and transportation.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

This fonds was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by the Glenbow Archives in 1996.

Arrangement

The photographs were arranged according to the filing system of the creator and assigned item number(s) with the prefix EA-600 and EB-26.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.

Finding aids

See ‘Scope and Content’ above.
Photographs have been described at the item level and are available in the Reference Room and online database.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

General note

Accession numbers: A96-216

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

City of Edmonton Archives

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description (RAD), Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area